Health and Safety Inspector
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Health & Safety Inspector is a member of Health & Emergency Management Services within the Division of Safety and Security at the George Washington University. The position is responsible for inspection of student residence, common living areas, academic, administrative and overall facilities of the university to detect unsafe or unhealthy working and living/housing conditions.
The Health & Safety Inspector reports to the Assistant Director, Health & Safety. The Health & Safety Inspector performs various health and safety activities within assigned areas of the university to determine compliance with federal, state, local and other codes, regulations and procedures, particularly as it relates to environmental, health, fire, safety and related areas. Inspectors document inspections and follow up to address any health and safety deficiencies with occupant and/or appropriate university unit.
- Assisting in the preparation and distribution of inspection reports and compilation of statistical information concerning the effectiveness of the university's environmental, health and safety programs.
- Developing, updating, and presenting safety related educational programs and training and serve as a subject matter resources for university units and projects relating to programs and services provided by Health & Emergency Management Services.
- Participating in training and professional development opportunities in order to enhance skills.
- Serving on a rotating on-call schedule during non-business hours and holidays.
- Providing, as needed or requested, incident notification and shares situational awareness to the Director, HEMS, and to the Division of Safety and Security.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Ability to stand for eight (8) hours at minimum.
- Ability to repeatedly walk up and down stairs, steep ramps, hard surfaces of parking facilities.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 35 pounds.
- Ability to constantly and quickly get in/out of all types of motor vehicles.
- Ability to work in the out of doors (no HVAC).
- Ability to tolerate physical exposure to weather conditions, and accommodates low physical risks and adherence to basic safety rules when driving, walking on slippery surfaces, and walking among/near moving vehicles.
- Ability to don hazardous materials protection and work while using air respirator devices.
Degree in Safety and Health Management, Public Health, Industrial Hygiene, Fire Science or related field is preferred.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Safety and Security Family Safety and Security Sub-Family Safety and Emergency Response Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm plus Weekends and Evenings as Needed Position Designation: Designated On-Site: Employees who are required to physically report to work or remain at work during an emergency or adjustment to the university's operating status Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006712 Job Open Date: 10/01/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of full-time relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study? Bachelor Degree or higher must be obtained prior to start date.
- * I acknowledge that I have reviewed the Additional Specific Requirements section in the job posting and understand that this position does require physical activity, including but not limited too, regular walking, pushing, lifting, exposure to various weather conditions and the potential to be around hazardous materials?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter