Student Services Academic Advisor
Posting Date September 29, 2017
Position Title Student Services Academic Advisor
Vacancy # V-1376
Department School of Business
Division Academic Affairs
The Feliciano School of Business (FSofB) at Montclair State University invites applications for a Student Services Academic Advisor in the school's Ellyn A. McColgan Student Services Center. The Student Services Academic Advisor is responsible for providing a range of support services to students and faculty advisors. The recently named Ellyn A. McColgan Student Services Center provides undergraduate students with integrated and individualized academic advisement and career placement programs from admission to graduation, and graduate students with support and resources for career development.
The Student Services Academic Advisor will work in collaboration with the other professional staff in the McColgan Center for Student Services in the FSofB to provide services related to student recruitment, enrollment, academic advising, retention, and professional development for undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in FSofB programs. The Student Services Academic Advisor will collaborate with MSU counterparts housed in CAST, Admissions, and the Office of the Registrar. The advisor will actively assist in the development of recruitment, admission, advisement, and retention initiatives, participate in both FSofB and University events focused on student advising, orientation, recruitment, professional development, and other events as requested by the Dean's office. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
The Feliciano School of Business is accredited by AACSB International at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. It offers a BS in Business Administration (ten concentrations), BS in Accounting, BA in Economics, MBA (six concentrations, cohort based model), MS in Accounting degree programs and several graduate level certificates. In fall 2015, the Feliciano School officially opened a new 143,000-square-foot, six-story, high-tech, interactive learning environment for their 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Among the building's many noteworthy features are a 3-D printing innovation lab, a Financial Resource Center with multiple Bloomberg terminals, interview rooms for corporate recruiting, state-of-the-art classrooms and computer labs, a 150-seat lecture hall that may be used for public events as well as classes, collaborative spaces for networking, team building and group study and market research/analysis labs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves primarily as a student academic advisor/resource person for students enrolled in FSofB programs
- Provides admission and academic counseling
- Communicates changes in curriculum and admissions standards and procedures
- Provides assistance for students interested in transferring into FSofB programs
- Reviews, evaluates, and processes internal transfer student applications
- Performs outreach to non-registered FSofB students
- Reviews and manages students admitted conditionally to FSofB;
- Serves as academic advisor to students in FSofB international programs.
- Serves as a career advisor/resource person for students enrolled in FSofB programs.
- Develops and implements presentations, training, and workshops for students and/or staff.
- Makes referrrals to on and off campus counseling and mental health resources when appropriate
- Tracks student advisor caseload.
- Learns and fully utilizes information technology related to student services including, SalesForce, Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish.
- Assists in the planning of FSofB Career Fairs, Open Houses, On-campus recruitment, New Student Orientation, Transfer Orientation, Accepted Students Day, Campus to Career Transitions events, and other events as requested.
- Attends and participates in Center and School meetings related to assigned responsibilities.
- Works with FSofB committees including the Student Services Committee, as needed.
- Represents the School and University at professional organization meetings and events.
- Compiles and analyzes student data and develops materials required for accreditation, publications, and other reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree and one year of professional experience in advising or counseling in higher education. An understanding of non-traditional student populations. Ability to advise and counsel students and others concerning school/university programs, activities, and services. Must have excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills, and the ability to work effectively both individually and as a team member. Ability to leverage technology in advising and counseling activities. Must be a team player; detail/results oriented; able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends. Experience with business school curriculum and programs is preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION