Senior Environmental Health Specialist
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Environmental Health and Safety
Senior Environmental Health Specialist
Position #1790 - Requisition 11299
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
Environmental Health and Safety has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Senior Environmental Health Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
As part of the Environmental Health and Safety Department, this full-time University Staff (unclassified) Senior Environmental Health Specialist position helps develop and conduct training and outreach, inspect laboratories, audit research, academic, and institutional support activities for compliance with applicable Federal, State, local regulations, and funding entity requirements. This position supports campus wide programs in laboratory safety, chemical exposure monitoring, indoor air quality assessments, respiratory protection, and medical surveillance.
- Acts as the primary liaison for EHS on the Denver campus, in addition to spending time at the Anschutz campus. On both campuses, performs compliance and safety inspections/audits of UC Denver research and teaching laboratories, shops, and other areas
- The position assists with hazardous waste management on the Denver campus. This includes participating in RCRA and DOT compliance oversight; assisting with coordination of hazardous waste (HW) pickups for the Denver campus; moving hazardous waste containers to storage areas requiring operation of a university vehicle; properly identify and characterize waste; lab pack and bulk HW; maintain HW and shipping documents (manifests, land disposal restrictions, and waste profiles); and assist with chemical waste profiles for new waste streams.
- Conducts in person training and outreach presentations. Prepares outreach materials in the form of compliance guidance documents and standard operating procedures.
- Provides industrial hygiene and hazardous materials response support for both Anschutz and Denver locations. Performs indoor air quality assessments. Performs environmental and personnel exposure sampling activities. Assists with spill response activities.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring salary range begins at $52,000.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree in Education: BS/BA in Environmental Health, Environmental Science/Studies (compliance focus), Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health, or a directly related field from an accredited institution and 2 years of professional level experience in two or more of the following: Safety inspections; environmental assessments; laboratory safety programs; industrial hygiene; hazardous materials management; indoor air quality; biosafety; related consumer protection; personnel sampling; radiation safety; laboratory research; environmental sampling; and/or training delivery and design.
- A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Related Master's degree (e.g., industrial hygiene, environmental studies/science, safety engineering, etc.) may substitute for two years of related experience. To qualify, both undergraduate and graduate degrees must be in a related field. Research or thesis areas, or work study experience may substitute for required one year of required professional work experience if area of research/work and education are in a closely related area of study.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to obtain 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operator certification within the first year of employment.
- Must be willing and able to obtain certification as CHMM within 2 years or, optional: CSP/CIH within 5 years of employment.
- Must be medically approved to wear respiratory protection in the form of negative or positive pressure respirators, including N95 or PAPR, half and/or full face mask, and SCBA.
- Must be willing and able to receive vaccinations to protect against infectious disease related to their potential exposures including, but not limited to Hepatitis and TB.
- Must be willing and able to participate in medical surveillance as applicable to potential work exposures, which may include blood or urine collection and the administration of health questionnaires.
- Must be willing and able to stand and sit for long periods, squat, bend, kneel, and walk for long periods.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry ~50lbs (e.g., when needed for waste handling and SCBA tank worn on back).
- Must be willing and able to push or pull (with drum dolly or other mechanical aid) up to 500 lbs.
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License within six months of hire.
NOTE: This position has been designated as essential personnel, "Subject to call 24 hours per day, seven days per week" and may be required to carry a pager. Position may also be required to "Stay over late" or "Come in early" to "Cover" shifts, as needed and may be required to respond to any emergencies as needed. If hired, you will be required to provide effective off-hours phone contact info for emergency call-in purposes.
- Certification: 28 or 40 hours Hazardous Waste Operator certification upon hire.
- Certification as CIH, CSP, or CHMM.
- Graduate degree in environmental sciences, industrial hygiene/occupational safety, safety engineering, toxicology, environmental chemistry, or similar area of study.
- Previous experience in a research, analytical or other laboratory setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Professional and technical writing skills.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, interpersonal skills, and customer service perspective.
- Effective training delivery and presentation skills. Computer literacy and familiarity using database applications for data management and reporting.
- Ability to use multiple data management computer applications and assist others in obtaining information from these departmental systems (including writing SOP for the systems).
- Flexible to changing demands and ability to manage multiple tasks throughout the work week.
- Must be able to work autonomously with minimal oversight.
- Understanding of auditing principles.
- Basic knowledge of physical science, chemistry, and cursory knowledge of hazardous materials management (e.g., RCRA generator requirements and chemical compatibility and segregation criteria).
- Basic knowledge of the operation of IH/Hazardous materials/environmental monitoring instruments.
- Basic knowledge of occupational safety and environmental compliance Acts.
- Ability to interact with others in a professional setting, remaining courteous even
Special Instructions to Applicants:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin 9/29/2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60078 - ADM-VCR EH&S Anschutz
Posting Date: Sep 29, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Breanne Beck
Posting Contact Email: Breanne.email@example.com
Position Number: 00001790