The Chemical and Biological Engineering Department is now accepting applications for a Financial Professional. The Financial Professional is an integral part of the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department providing financial administration for the department. Reporting to the Finance Manager, this position is primarily responsible for providing financial management and faculty support including contract and grant management, accounting and finance, procurement, and travel and expense reimbursement. In addition, this position will provide supplemental support for the department.
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. As Colorado's flagship university, CU Boulder has selective admissions standards and a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Contracts and Grant Management
- Perform project budget oversight including monitoring, tracking and/or reconciling transactions, variances and payroll funding distributions; prepare and submit budget revisions and funding updates; provide financial spreadsheets, summaries and reports; and meet regularly with the Principal Investigator and/or Financial Manager.
- Perform post-award tasks including purchasing goods and services; monitoring expiration dates; requesting extensions and supplemental funding as needed; prepare and submit progress and final reports; and aid in the award closeout process.
- Manage and maintain complete regulatory files, including approval and sponsor correspondence.
- Provide proposal and award advisement including assisting with preparation of budgets and narratives for grant applications, resource and fund management; and offer procedural and regulatory advisement in alignment with sponsor, Federal, State, and university requirements to ensure compliance.
- Work cooperatively with Principal Investigator and departmental staff, as well as other campus departments and personnel (such as Sponsored Projects Accounting (SPA), Office of Grants and Contracts (OCG), and Procurement Service Center (PSC)).
- Provide additional contract and grant management support to ChBE faculty as needed.
- Participate in training in the area of business practices, university, and state regulations, and the use of data processing systems, as assigned.
- Assist with department tools and resources to assist faculty and staff.
Accounting and Finance
- Perform standard accounting functions to support budget, accounts payable, accounts receivable, procurement, and travel and expense reimbursement activities including preparation of journal entries; verification of accounting codes and fund assignments; month-end, quarter-end and year-end closes; reconciliations and audits; data collection, analysis and retention; reporting and records management.
- Conduct research and provide resolution to complex accounting problems, including investigation and analysis of data to ensure accuracy and completeness and perform corrective actions.
- Ensure fiscal operations in accordance with Federal, State, and university fiscal policies and procedures.
- Support the design of projections in such a way as to simulate an impact of different variables on the budget.
- Provide accounting and finance support to department as needed.
Travel and Expense Reimbursement
- Coordinate travel and event registrations including booking airfare, hotel, transportation, etc.; registering for conferences, seminars and/or trainings; utilize Concur and Marketplace to process transactions; and prepare and submit appropriate pre-travel approval forms.
- Prepare, reconcile and submit travel expense reimbursement reports which involves gathering and assuring appropriate receipts and documentation are included and ensure expenses are allocated to appropriate accounts.
- Provide travel and expense reimbursement support to department as needed.
- Purchase goods and services including performing research to ensure costs for goods and services are reasonable, appropriate, allocable and within compliance; coordinate the issuance of purchase orders; process payments utilizing procurement card, purchase orders, or payment vouchers; and track and verify delivery of goods and services.
- Monitor and reconcile procurement card expenses, assuring appropriate receipts and documentation are provided and participate in the preparation of reports.
- Develop ways to improve the efficiency of data collected through systems and subsystems.
- Provide procurement support to department as needed.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you should know:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $47,000.00, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be balanced. Be informed. Be resourceful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Substitution: Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
What you will need:
- Demonstrated effectiveness in written and oral communications, collaboration and problem solving.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of internal control principles.
- High-level computer skill proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Word and Excel) and databases.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and trusting working relationships with faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
What we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in accounting, finance or related field.
- Two years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, finance, and/or business administration in a complex environment that includes budgetary responsibilities.
- Experience with research and contract accounting and management.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of internal accounting control principles, as well as generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft Finance and HR, and Cognos Reporting.
- Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, and fiscal principles and practices in a higher education environment, including budgeting and fund accounting.
- Strong knowledge of accounting and budgeting in all funds (general, auxiliary, gift, grant, and plant) as well as an understanding of the CU Foundation accounting system.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 5, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11196.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10324 - Chemical & Biological Engin
Posting Date: Sep 29, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 5, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00002482