Research Specialist, Plant Pathology - Department of Crop Sciences (A1700611)
Research Specialist, Plant Pathology
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
Conduct laboratory and greenhouse research with fungal pathogens of corn, soybean and wheat.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Isolate fungal pathogens of corn, wheat and soybeans and maintain fungal stocks in long and short term storage. Maintain a database of fungal/oomycete stocks available in the laboratory.
- Develop methodology and processes to collet fungal/oomycete tissue, extract DNA, and molecular marker analysis in a high-throughput manner.
- Design and conduct research experiments relating to pathology research in corn, wheat and soybeans, including analyzing results and summarizing data.
- Produce inoculum for laboratory, greenhouse, and field studies including preparing media, culturing pathogens, and disposing of biological waste.
- Design, conduct, and collaborate with researchers including graduate students on field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments.
- Manage the program's laboratory inventory as well as the laboratory safety plan which includes training records of laboratory workers.
- Oversee and facilitate the modification of laboratory equipment. Manage the ordering and restocking of laboratory consumables.
- Supervise hourly students or extra-help employees by creating work schedules, assigning work detail and overseeing quality of work
- Train hourly students or extra-help employees in plant pathology techniques, proper data collection, and research equipment operation and safety
Required: BS in Crop Sciences, Plant Biology, Microbiology or related area.
Preferred: MS in Plant Pathology, Crop Sciences, Plant Biology, Microbiology or related area.
Required: Candidates must have at least 2 years of experience in a plant pathology/microbiology laboratory, and laboratory management experience.
Preferred: Experience extracting DNA/RNA and data analysis, supervisory experience.
Must possess or be able to obtain a valid driver's license
Excellent organizational skills and the ability to initiate and supervise daily tasks ensuring quality work and attention to detail.
This is a 12-month, 100% academic professional position.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
PROPOSED STARTING DATE
This position is available as soon as possible after the closing date. Application materials may be reviewed prior to the close date and will continue until the most qualified candidate is identified.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter indicating your qualifications, resume and contact information for three references by October 13, 2017.
All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Linda Kemplin, email@example.com. You may also visit http://cropsci.illinois.edu for additional information.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Specialist, Plant Pathology - Department of Crop Sciences (A1700611)
Open Date: 09/29/2017
Close Date: 10/13/2017
Organization Name: Crop Sciences