Requisition # 2017-7425
Department Princeton Neuroscience Inst
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 3 weeks ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
The Princeton Neuroscience Institute (PNI) and the Seung Lab have an opening for a Systems Administrator to support the faculty, researchers and students. The Systems Administrator will report directly to the PNI IT Manager.
This is a part time, one year term position with the possibility for renewal and full time hours, contingent upon performance and funding. Specific hours for this position are flexible during the workday and can be discussed upon interview.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Install, configure, and repair local workstations and servers.
- Manage and support cloud infrastructure and services on AWS and GCloud.
- Assist and support users using Linux/UNIX, Mac, Windows, and VM environments.
- Write and maintain scripts to automate system administration functions.
- Install, manage and maintain various web applications and databases.
- Manage disk storage systems.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, install and perform preventative maintenance as requested by faculty, collaborators and graduate students.
- Educate/train users on computing techniques.
- Build and install software from source code in support of research.
- Provide guidance to all system users on computing purchases and installation and configuration of all newly acquired systems.
- Collaborate with central OIT and PICSciE organizations to assure consistent standards are maintained for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of systems.
- Actively participate in the campus Linux/UNIX system administrators community to build relationships that will allow for sharing of knowledge and expertise, creation of a consistent and cohesive environment, and the arrangement of mutual out-of-office backup agreements.
- Attend appropriate on campus system administration related meetings as recommended by supervisor.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 5 years of experience with technologies in this job description.
- Extensive Linux desktop and server experience.
- Extensive AWS and GCloud experience, especially with configuration management, server orchestration, and vendor service integrations.
- Extensive experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet or Chef and containerized deployments such as Docker.
- Proficiency programming in shell and Python.
- Ability to research hardware and software issues.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, anticipate and address problems and delays.
- Ability to follow up on open items and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivate and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must be able to keep abreast of new technologies including desktop, laptop, and server hardware; Linux and UNIX operating system and application software; and High Performance Computing related technologies.
- Attend monthly SCAD-DCS Trainings and technical meetings.
- Characteristics of the successful candidate include an exemplary customer service attitude, strong initiative, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, the ability to work independently, attention to detail, and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Proficiency in GPU and Xeon Phi High Performance Computing cluster setup and usage.
- Experience in installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and using Linux/UNIX standard systems and software applications.
- Familiarity with Linux desktop, with Red Hat kickstart, rpms, yum, ldap, email servers, firewalls.
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
One year term with possibility of renewal
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.