Faculty - Associate Professor - Aviation Science, DC
Faculty - Associate Professor - Aviation Science, DC
Position Category: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Aviation Science Department at Utah Valley University invites applicants for the position Faculty/ Department Chair. Serves as Department Chair, with a minimum half-time release from teaching. The chair is responsible for all aspects of academic administration in the department including oversight of personnel management (faculty and staff hiring, annual reviews, etc.); curriculum development and instruction; student recruiting, orientation, advising, and problem resolution; budgeting and expenses; and other activities such as marketing, running meetings, promoting safety, etc. In addition, the Chair supervises flight and flight records to ensure effective and efficient operations and coordinates with the Assistant Chair to oversee dispatch, maintenance, and facilities. The Chair promotes the well-being of the students, staff and faculty of the department; and supports and seeks ways to fulfill the guiding concepts for the college embodied in the philosophy, mission, values, and vision of shared governance at UVU. The Chair also models excellence in education, training, and certification, and demonstrates successful scholarship and collaborative service.
- The chair is the representative and advocate of an academic department, its faculty, staff, and students. Manages or designates the management of the affairs of the department, such as accreditation, program learning outcomes, contracts, budget/finance, and employee reviews. This also includes issues relating to instruction, staffing, human resources, finances, and facilities. Provides leadership and support for programs, degrees, faculty, and students, and facilitates innovation and creativity among members of the department and provides reports to the college and the university.
- Establishes and maintains regular and consistent office hours and addresses issues relating to scholarships, college and university events, and other obligations as they arise.
- Teaches classes based on qualifications and departmental needs. Plans, prepares, and follows an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught. Prepares instructional materials as necessary and maintains a desirable classroom environment and student-centered approach. Evaluates instructions and learning by means of written, oral, and other assignments and tests. Maintains and submits accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, attendance, and performance.
Seeking a candidate who is qualified to receive tenure upon appointment. Candidates who already have tenure at a regionally accredited university or equivalent are preferred. Looking to hire someone as soon as possible and will this position will remain open until filled.
A master’s degree in aviation or related discipline is required with a strong history of aviation industry experience. Doctorate in a related field with at least five years of aviation industry experience is preferred. A doctorate will not be accepted in place of aviation industry experience. Professional certification in one of the department’s focus areas.
Prior Department Chair or administrative experience is preferred.
Area of expertise including but not limited to aerospace engineering / manufacturing, unmanned aerial systems, aviation systems technology, air traffic management, airport management / operations, aircraft dispatching, airline management / operations, fixed base operation (FBO) management, aviation safety, aircraft accident investigation, aviation law, and aircraft maintenance management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Department Chair duties.
- Knowledge of the principles and methodology of teaching techniques.
- Knowledge of current FAA policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Skills in representation and management of department issues relating to instruction, staffing, human resources, finances, and facilities.
- Skills in assisting counselors and other department heads in maintaining an effective program.
- Proven skills as an accomplished teacher.
- Ability to provide leadership and support for programs, degrees, faculty, and students.
- Ability to develop curriculum and teach design courses.
- Ability to assist in the development of effective business and educational partnerships at the campus, local, state and national levels.
- Demonstrated capabilities in teaching, research/ creative activities, and service are required.
- Ability to communicate (written and oral) with a wide variety of students, faculty, and others.
- Ability to supervise others, including students and employees.
- Ability to work closely with others.
- Some travel may be required.
- Generally, 8 am - 5 pm, with occasional activities and events at night or on weekends.
- Work may, on occasion, involve exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience
Advertisement Number: FAC13217
Open Date: 09/28/2017
Review Start Date: 11/19/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant: A minimum of five references specific to the position summary of duties. Original university transcripts at and above the bachelor level must be provided at time of interview. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of all ethnic groups underrepresented in higher education. Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/4082
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.