Manager of Reporting Systems
The Office of University Controller (OUC) is responsible for managing the University's system of record - the Financial System - and its interfaces with purchasing, accounts payable, travel expense, human capital management, financial reporting, and other subsystems. The office works closely with the campus controllers, the state controller, and the state auditor's office to ensure that fiscal practices comply with external/internal rules and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles; prepares the University's tax filings; manages payroll/benefit accounting functions; and oversees the certification of effort reporting on sponsored research. It communicates fiscal policies and procedures to the University community through blogs, website, and training programs, and provides 1:1 assistance through the Finance & Procurement Help Desk. The OUC also administers a Continuing Professional Education program and the CU Innovation & Efficiency Awards employee recognition program.
The Manager of Reporting Systems develops, implements, communicates, and monitors the University-wide Reporting System (CU-Data/COGNOS Business Intelligence). This position is responsible for maintaining the accuracy and integrity of data obtained from related University systems - e.g., PeopleSoft Finance, PeopleSoft HCM, and the Concur Travel & Expense System - that feed into the Reporting System. The nature and responsibilities of the position require extensive coordination with the campus controllers' offices, University Information Systems, and other CU units.
The Manager of Reporting Systems position reports to the Director of Financial & Reporting Systems in the Office of University Controller (OUC) and supervises one Financial Report Writer. The position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
What you will need:
To thrive in this position, the individual must be a self-motivating professional with extensive experience in systems data and interpretation. The individual must be a creative problem-solver, able to diagnose issues and willing to figure out solutions. He or she must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills, must be adept at managing multiple competing projects/priorities, and must perform well as a collaborative member in a tightly knit team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain, enhance, and evaluate the Reporting System, including prioritizing the University-wide enhancements/issues list and developing efficient, effective COGNOS-based reports.
- Monitor Reporting System reports for data accuracy and integrity, compliance with fiscal and regulatory requirements, and compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Assist University policy and training personnel in the design, delivery, and evaluation of training programs to support Reporting System use.
- Assure targeted dissemination of Reporting System messages through effective use of the OUC's reporting blog and through additional written/verbal communications on the progress of the reporting strategy.
- In coordination with appropriate administrative offices, advise organizational units on resolution of Reporting System/related issues.
- Manage Reporting System project development, including functional managerial responsibility for other staff participating in report development or system implementation projects.
- Supervise and evaluate the work performance of the Financial Report Writer, including assuring that they are properly trained in the use of financial reporting and related systems.
- Coordinate and conduct reporting demonstrations and strategic meetings with campus representatives and stakeholders.
- Promote ongoing open communication with key Reporting System users/stakeholders and appropriately include their feedback in all deliverables.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated responsiveness and ability to produce specified results within defined timelines.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication abilities.
- Advanced organization and teamwork skills, with ability to manage and collaborate with a variety of personality types, character styles, and competing interests.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary has been established at $90,000- $110,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's Degree in an information technology-related field from an accredited institution of higher education (education requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Five (5) years' professional experience creating and developing COGNOS-based reporting.
- Four (4) years' professional experience using relational database systems (e.g., Microsoft Access, Oracle) and building complex queries using SQL.
- Four (4) years' professional experience using advanced functions in personal computer software, including Microsoft Excel.
- Four (4) year's professional experience working with PeopleSoft systems, including either Finance (FSCM) or Human Resources (HCM).
- One (1) year of supervisory experience.
- Experience in a business or administrative office within a complex University system. Or, Experience within a higher education business or administrative office.
- Seven (7) years' professional experience developing COGNOS-based reporting.
- Five (5) years professional experience leading a team developing COGNOS-based reports.
- Five (5) years professional experience facilitating meetings/decision-making or conducting training.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to a diverse community.
- Experience with MotioCI testing and versioning for quality control.
- Experience with Cognos Framework Manager for relational models.
- Demonstrated success tuning Oracle relational database for query.
- Experience with data warehouse design and with Kimball-style design for ETL processes.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 9, 2017. This position will be open until filled. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50027 - University Controller
Posting Date: Sep 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kris Truesdale
Posting Contact Email: Kris.Truesdale@cu.edu
Position Number: 00694426