Cook III - Culinary Supervisor
The vision of UCCS Dining and Food Services is to be a recognized leader in service delivery and food sustainability to cultivate and nurture a healthy campus culture where access to wholesome, seasonal, and local food directly links to wellness, sense of place, and environmental protection. Aligning UCCS Dining and Food Services with campus sustainability efforts allows for the integration of academic programs and community action, thereby providing students invaluable experiential learning opportunities. This includes preparing and serving healthy, flavorful, sustainable, and nutritious food produced through fiscally responsible and mindful practices that nourish and support our community.
May be expected to work various shifts to include early morning, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Nature of Work:
Under the general supervision of the Catering Chef or Executive Chef of Residential Dining, and with a secondary reporting line to the Executive Chef/Associate Director of Culinary Operations, prepares quality menu items through own efforts and/or through the coordination of assigned lead cooks and student staff. Will work independently and will be responsible for production and ordering of food on the Catering Chef/Executive Chef's days off. Maintains food preparation and safety standards and complies with health code.
Scope of Responsibility:
The purpose of the UCCS Food Service Cook 3 is to prepare quality food for the campus community through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, and services in a sanitary and safe environment according to UCCS Dining and Food Services specifications. Position conducts or assists in supervising the preparation and/or presentation and service of various foods including salads, desserts, appetizers, soups, stews, convenience food items, entrees, sandwiches, dressings and garnishes and/or baked goods.
This position is expected to maintain collegial relationships with all campus constituents including faculty, staff and students. The position works closely with all culinary staff and student staff in catering or residential food operations.
- Review banquet event orders/cycle menu and set production schedules.
- Prepare and be able to train others to use the proper recipe, portion and cooking technique.
- Follow proper cooking, storage, and food handling techniques and assist in training of sub-ordinate cooks (Cook 2 & Cook 1) and student workers.
- Assist in the supervision, along with the student managers, of the preparation and cooking of food for catered events.
- Keep work area clean, safe, and orderly at all times.
- Complete and supervise training on all pieces of equipment prior to use.
- Assemble, disassemble, and clean kitchen equipment.
- Assist in all phases of set up, service and clean up in operation as needed.
- May assist in storeroom duties such as receiving orders, rotating stock and taking inventory.
- Position may be assigned as "Essential Services Designation" - meaning required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Any combination of education, training, and experience, which demonstrates the knowledge and skill to perform the duties and responsibilities as described.
- Ability to comprehend, carry out and explain complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist and lift up to 60 pounds when storing, stocking and gathering prepared products and/or inventory items.
- Ability to stand and walk on hard floors for extended hours.
- Requires the safe and efficient use of food service equipment such as ovens, grills, food choppers and processors, steamers, slicers, etc., as well as understanding the proper way to clean food service equipment.
For the purposes of FLSA, this position has been determined to be non-exempt from (eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Hourly Pay Rate: $16.00
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- No less than 6 years' experience in commercial food preparation and service.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Have completed or able to successfully complete ServSafe certification within 2 weeks of hire.
- Experience in the training and/or supervision of staff.
- Colorado Driver's License - Regular
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by 12/31/2017 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - Dining and Hospitality Services
Posting Date: Sep 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joel Bagley
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00001893