Clinical Laboratory Technologist II - Stem Cell
Clinical Laboratory Technologist II - Stem Cell-1702878
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist II is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist in the Stem Cell Department may include the following but are not limited to:
- Assist in processing of hematopoietic stem cells from bone marrow, blood and Core Blood.
- Perform laboratory tests and assist in implementation of departmental quality control programs.
- Review and reports final test results verifying the computer print-out where applicable. This requires extensive knowledge of physiological conditions affecting test results and deviations.
- Assist in all areas of hospital in the interface of the patient care computer system to access screens as order entry and results review.
- Undergoes specialized training on all routine preventive maintenance programs for equipment in the laboratory.
- Assist in data collection of the various assays to ensure the validation of these results according to the standards of FACT.
- Maintains a general knowledge of the safe laboratory practices, as endorsed by the NYS Department of Health and the OSHA and conducts oneself in a manner consistent with those practices to insure the safety of all personnel.
- Review, learn and understand all applicable operating standards and regulations. Must assist in the implementation of such standards.
- While hired for a particular shift, must be flexible to participate in the department functions beyond regular hours
- Performs other related duties as required or directed.
- Assist in processing bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cells for cryopreservation
- Assist in processing bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cells for infusion
- Monitor environmental controls and logs in the stem cell laboratory
- Perform critical calculations and analysis of stem cell components and report results on appropriate worksheets and forms
- Evaluation of adverse events and deviation that always require prompt management support and judgement, and must be reported to promptly to the medical director or his designee.
- Amassing of QA/ QC data on stem cell products use as instructed by supervisor to meet Joint Commission and other regulatory mandates.
Required Qualifications: Clinical Laboratory Technologist New York State license, B.S. in clinical sciences/biotechnology with a minimum of three years’ experience in Blood bank, immunology, hematology, microbiology. ASCP certification. Preferred Qualifications: Stem cell processing, manipulation, and cryopreservation. Knowledge of quality control and Regulations are a plus.
Special Note: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist II/III/IV
Job Field: Allied Health
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Stem Cell-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30AM - 4:30PMStem Cell-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Sep 25, 2017
Posting End Date: Oct 25, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL3