CONSULTANT, IT (Data Scientist and Team Lead)
CONSULTANT, IT (Data Scientist and Team Lead)
Duke OIT - Service-Based Metrics & Reporting
Data Scientist and Team Leader, Data Analytics Practice
Duke University seeks an experienced, motivated, and curious Data Scientist to lead an emerging practice in data analytics within the central information technology organization at a dynamic research university. The practice will advance data analysis approaches in research, instruction and university business units by applying state-of-the-art data mining techniques, performing statistical analysis, and using automation where practical to build and scale systems. The leader will work in close collaboration with research and academic programs, as well as administrative groups and institutional data stewards. In doing so, the data scientist will work with and provide leadership to a team of 5-7 individuals whose purpose will be will to bring value from existing data. Working with both researchers and leaders of operational units at the institution, the team will turn data into actionable information from various sources and analyze it for insights and discoveries hidden therein. They will also drive a better understanding of efficiency and efficacy in many aspects of the business of the university. In support of teaching and learning, the data scientist will promote and help to coordinate courses and programs that teach data analytics skills, and will guide in the development of curricular materials and teach lessons within courses where opportunities exist.
The successful candidate will be able to engage with and speak the language of faculty researchers, instructors and administrators, while also possessing skills, experience and curiosity that span research analysis, data science, and project management. Ideally, the data scientist will be equally comfortable in the research lab, classroom, or conference room and will be part scientist, part analyst, part hacker and part project manager.
Responsibilities (individually and leading a team of data analysts/engineers/wranglers):
- Manages and leads entry, mid, and advanced level analytic personnel assigned to the team, including hiring, training, mentoring, and fostering talent development.
- Leads in the research, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of a comprehensive set of technologies/tools/processes in support of data analytics with a focus on data consistency, usability, and sustainability. Recommends improvements to Duke's data governance and data management practices as may be needed over time.
- Inspires faculty to work with modern forms of digital data and new data management technologies, and coordinates across decentralized functions to establish better intra-institutional information about our data resources and uses, improving the flow of the data itself among units.
- Works with researchers and academic and operational stakeholders to identify the scientific, academic or business requirements and the expected outcome; collaborates to select the relevant sources of information; automates analysis and anomaly detection systems to provide and make efficient the continuous tracking of performance from various research and business data sources.
- Identifies cases where research techniques and data, in combination with business-support analytics, can bring new value or enable prediction into the future using techniques of machine learning/AI, applied statistics, dev-ops/automation, and/or data mining.
- Uses exploratory data analysis techniques to model and frame research or business scenarios that identify meaningful patterns, trends or relationships and that aid in primary research discovery, process refinement and/or business decisions.
- Leveraging the expertise of and working with Duke's academic data engineer, wrangles/extracts/transforms/loads/cleanses/integrates multiple systems and data sets, including linking and mashing up distinctive data sets in different forms in order to discover new insights.
- Works with academic faculty to monitor and optimize current forms of data collection and develop and integrate new forms of this collection, and to optimize the transformation of collected data into formats appropriate for analysis.
- Performs ad hoc and iterative analysis to refine informational discoveries and communicate data analysis and findings effectively, including through the use of state-of-the-art data visualizations.
- Coordinates and match makes across a range of existing and emerging academic and co-curricular programs, identifying gap opportunities for students to gain valuable experience in the process of exploring institutional data
- Works with the CISO, Audit, and ORI offices to ensure that the information used complies with the regulatory and security policies in place; confirms where information can be stored or what information, external to the organization, may be used.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master's degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field or equivalent experience. Doctorate preferred.
- Typically requires 7-10 years of relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the evaluation and implementation of a comprehensive set of data analytics technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in managing all aspects of an analytics team including recruitment, training, mentoring.
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, and experience collaborating directly with or in support of faculty researchers.
- Extensive experience with modern analytical tools and platforms. Specific expertise in the development and use of machine-learning algorithms is desirable.
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2427 CONSULTANT, IT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.