Systems Administrator II, Linux and Google Apps
Primary Function : The position works as a team member in the Strategic Digital Infrastructure department to support a computing infrastructure that includes a variety of servers, storage, and supporting equipment in the institution’s data center and in the cloud. Specifically, this position is primarily responsible for the system administration of 40+ Linux servers, Google Apps for Education, and Blackboard. This position will also act as the secondary systems administration for the university’s 40+ Windows servers.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities :
Linux System administration duties:
• Primary administrator for Linux systems.
• Provision, deploy and secure new Linux-based servers as needed.
• Establishes, maintains and manages user server accounts.
• Application of regular system upgrades and patches in test and production environments.
• Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with Linux server.
• Assists with resolving technical problem for the Linux lab as needed..
• Reviews logs daily and promptly notifies Director of Strategic Digital Infrastructure of any suspicious behavior or breaches.
Primary administrator for Google Apps for Education including managing email accounts and distribution lists.
Primary administrator for Blackboard including integration support with Banner.
Secondary systems administrator for Enterprise Microsoft environment, including Active Directory and Windows servers.
Perform scheduled system upgrades and respond to emergencies/outages outside of business hours.
Education : Bachelor’s degree in a technology-related field plus related experience.
- 3+ years experience in a technical position with regular systems administration duties including installing, configuring, securing, and maintaining Linux servers required.
- 2+ years experience working administering Google Apps preferred
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred.
- Experience with Linux computer operations and familiarity with shell programming and scripting with languages such as Perl, Python, and Linux shell.
- Familiarity with application software such as Apache or Tomcat.
- Experience with Windows Server and VMware desirable.
Job Related Skills :
- Strong grasp of MySql databases, LAMP setup, Linux, Macintosh and Windows operating system.
- Ability to use professional knowledge to analyze information and resolve problems.
- Demonstrable diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to simultaneously manage and organize several projects and regular duties.
- Able to analyze situations and issues and determine solutions.
- Ability to articulate clearly to constituents in all levels of the organization.
- High-level collaborator who can work with other areas of the organization to complete projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to participate in a shared 24×7 on-call capacity for critical systems.
The University of the South comprises a well-regarded College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a distinguished School of Theology. It is an institution of the Episcopal Church that welcomes individuals of all backgrounds. The University is located on a striking, 13,000-acre campus on Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau.
The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.