Network Systems Specialist
Primary function : This position serves as a team member in the Strategic Digital Infrastructure (SDI) department that manages and maintains the University’s network system. This position reports to the Director of Strategic Digital Infrastructure and works collaboratively with other members of the SDI team. The Network Systems Specialist will perform a wide variety of job duties related to the network and telephone systems to provide a robust, secure and stable network/phone infrastructure.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities :
1. Works with SDI staff to plan, monitor and maintain the university’s network systems which includes data and voice.
2. Installs, maintains, diagnoses, repairs, modifies, and troubleshoots communication equipment such as switches, wireless access points, VOIP phones, and other related phone systems. Works with SDI staff and vendor’s tech support as needed to correct equipment malfunctions and system issues.
3. Supports help desk personnel in identifying and resolving issues with network components as well as voice network issues.
4. Performs regular site surveys and network assessments. Develops reports on quality and performance of networks. Makes recommendations on systems enhancements for optimization.
5. Works with existing staff to learn the technical operations related to the existing network, infrastructure and phone systems of the university.
6. Works with Facilities Management staff to locate underground the university’s network and phone cables as needed.
7. Maintains detailed records of work completed in the helpdesk system and inventory and cable management system.
8. Serves as backup for the University’s Network Engineer.
9. Serves as backup technician for the telephone system.
10. Shares on-call 24/7/365 responsibility for university network/phone outages and emergencies with other members of the Strategic Digital Infrastructure team.
11. Occasionally repairs or installs voice and data cabling as needed.
Education : Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or a related field required. Associate’s degree in Information Technology or related field with four years experience or advanced certification may be considered.
- 2 years experience with installation and configuration of network switches, firewalls or routers required, with five years experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of inside/outside plant cabling standards highly preferred.
- Experience with installation and maintenance of wireless networks preferred. Experience with HPE and Aruba equipment desirable.
- Experience with Linux desirable.
- Experience with management and maintenance of telephone VoIP systems desirable.
- Experience pulling and/or terminating testing and labeling Cat 6/6e cable preferred.
The University of the South comprises a well-regarded College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a distinguished School of Theology. It is an institution of the Episcopal Church that welcomes individuals of all backgrounds. The University is located on a striking, 13,000-acre campus on Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau.
The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.