UNIX\Linux Systems and Storage Engineer
8AM - 5PM
$83,600 - $99,900
The UNIX/Linux Engineer will support the set-up, configuration, upgrading/patching, and maintaining of all *NIX server instances, virtual and physical within Information Technology Solutions (ITS). This position maintains the lifecycle of Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu) and Solaris (Containers/Zones) Operating System and related Software/Applications and Hardware. In addition, this position will also be responsible for all facets of Storage Systems, Tegile, Storinator Technologies, Dell SAN and NetApp. Knowledge of IP Storage Networks is essential.
General knowledge of other areas of IT. Thorough understanding of and experience with systems-related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
Understanding of system performance monitoring and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software.
Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
Demonstrated experience writing and editing complex scripts used to perform system maintenance and administration.
Demonstrated skills associated with adapting equipment and technology to serve user needs. Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent/related functions.
Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
Basic knowledge of how to apply technologies and systems to meet business needs.
Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
Extensive current knowledge of the Linux platform.
Working knowledge of LAN/WAN Network Protocols, TCP/IP, VLAN and VPN
Demonstrated task management skills and attention to detail.
Ability to work effectively with developers/DBAs/network engineers.
Demonstrated skills with building tools and automation, operations, patching, packaging and configuration management.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview