Academic Coaching Position
The Academic Coach will be assigned a caseload of students who they will provide comprehensive and intrusive advisement for throughout the academic year. The Academic Coach will be responsible to ensure that their assigned caseload receives guidance during the semester regarding curriculum planning and will also utilize Starfish to provide any needed intervention. The Academic Coach will assist all students in academic planning related to the students' abilities and chosen major. The coach will also convey and interpret DCC's rules and regulations, academic prerequisites, programs, majors and courses of study. The Academic Coach will assist students to define and develop realistic educational, career and transfer plans. To do so the Academic Coach will provide curriculum planning for students to include registration of summer/winter coursework (if appropriate) to ensure each student has an up-to-date academic plan through graduation. Additionally, the Academic Coach will serve as an academic liaison working directly with faculty and program chairs in a designated department to enhance the advisement process and provide educational programming for students. The Academic Coach will play an integral part in the College's efforts towards student success, retention and graduation. The Academic Coach will advocate for student educational achievement to the highest attainable standard, support student goals, and uphold the educational mission of the college. The coach will proactively contact and be available for student advisees on a regular basis.
Coaching Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clarify personal and occupational interests, abilities, and goals for the student's educational plan.
- Become knowledgeable about and adhere to institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Become knowledgeable of SUNY seamless transfer pathways and articulation agreements.
- Provide transfer advisement and facilitate transfer workshops.
- Recognize and respect students' diverse backgrounds and possess strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain student records and organize resource materials pertinent to each student's needs.
- Manage technology needed to support advising programs, including but not limited to Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish.
- Provide graduation planning including completion of Degree Works audit and graduation application.
- Maintain consistent advisement of designated major-based caseload.
- Serve as an academic liaison for a designated academic department. This will include meeting with program chairs and maintaining consistent communication with ACT Center staff regarding curriculum and procedural updates.
- Utilize Starfish to assist with caseload management, including providing student outreach based on tracking items and weekly reports.
- Participate in prospective student and first year programs including orientation, introductory seminar courses and recruitment initiatives.
- Additional duties as assigned by Academic Affairs.
- Bachelor's Degree, in a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an Academic Advisor.
- A minimum of 4 years of related experience in a college setting, especially in the areas of academic coaching, transfer and/or delivery of academic support services.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Concern for student needs in a demanding academic context as well as flexibility, patience, and professional integrity.
- The ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Master's Degree, preferably in higher education or a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an Academic Advisor.
- Experience working with students in a community college environment.
To apply, please submit the following application materials: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to http://www.sunydutchess.edu/employment
Please include Academic Coach in the subject line.
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful mid-Hudson Valley (just 90 minutes north of New York City), Dutchess Community College is seeking individuals who are passionate about the community college experience and share our commitment to student success.
As part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country and a winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, Dutchess Community College is dedicated to nurturing communities, respecting individuality and embracing diversity. The College has twice earned the Poughkeepsie Journal's Richard K. Wager Workplace Diversity Award, and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).