Special Collections Assistant IV
Requisition # 2017-8013
Department Library-Technical Services
Date Posted 2 weeks ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 10/13/2017
The Princeton University Library seeks an energetic, detail oriented individual with a strong public service orientation to work in Firestone Circulation Services. This position will work an evening schedule and spend a significant portion of time providing customer service at the Circulation Desk, a highly visible and busy service area in Firestone Library.
Interested applicants must include a cover letter along with resume for consideration.
This position provides circulation services to patrons at three very visible service areas in Firestone Library: the Circulation Desk, Access Office, and BookFinder Desk.
Circulation Desk services include charging and discharging material, creating and updating patron records, collecting and paying fines, communicating policies and information about the Library and its resources to patrons. This position will oversee operations and student staff five nights a week.
Access Office responsibilities include evaluating and assigning access or borrowing privileges to visitors, alumni, faculty, staff and students.
Additional tasks include processing ReCAP and Dixon material, various types of searching, and billing activities.
- Minimum 1 year customer service experience in an academic library which includes oversight of student staff.
- Demonstrated reliability and independence, as this individual will oversee operations and close the Department five nights a week.
- Must work well under pressure and be flexible to accommodate changes in the work schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with co-workers and the public, and to work quickly, accurately and with great attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Facility with email and Microsoft Office applications, along with a willingness to learn new technology.
- Physical requirements include bending and stretching, lifting books, and moving large book trucks.
Work Schedule: Five evenings a week.
Academic year hours: 3:45-11:45pm Monday-Friday
Summer hours: 3:00-11:00pm Monday-Thursday; 12:00-8:00pm Friday.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Facility with Voyager circulation and cataloging modules.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours
Academic year hours: 3:45-11:45pm Monday-Friday / Summer hours: 3:00-11:00pm Monday-Thursday; 12:00-8:00pm Friday.
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
LIB-Amer Fed State County Mun Emps
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.