Department Head, Spanish and Portuguese
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Arizona invites applications from established scholars with strong administrative experience to begin August 2018 as head of one of the largest departments of its kind in the country.
- An earned doctorate in Spanish or Portuguese with scholarly credentials commensurate with appointment at the rank of Professor at a Carnegie Research Intensive Institution
- Strong written and verbal skills in English, and Spanish or Portuguese
- Demonstrated abilities in administrative roles at the department or college level
- Strong leadership skills, and a proven record of excellence in and commitment to teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels
- Administrative expertise in policies and procedures as relevant to faculty, staff and students
A complete application packet will include 1) a cover letter, 2) CV, 3) a writing sample that includes a statement about your previous administrative experience, as well as your administrative principles and practices and vision for the department; and 4) the names, titles, and email addresses of at least five (5) references that must be at the level of tenured associate professor or higher. Applications will be considered confidential and no references will be contacted without prior authorization by candidates. All application materials must be uploaded online to the UA Careers site.
Preliminary interviews will be conducted at the Modern Languages Association convention January 4‐7, 2018 in New York City, NY or via Skype.
The University of Arizona seeks individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs.
More information, a full description of the position and instructions for submitting applications are found in the University of Arizona’s Human Resources Website. Please visit https://uacareers.com/postings/22224
Questions regarding this posting should be directed to the chair of the search committee via email: Professor Denis Provencher, firstname.lastname@example.org