Public Safety, Captain
Public Safety, Captain
Under the general supervision of the Director of Public Safety, will assist in the supervision of Public Safety staff and participate in the management of the operations of the Department, ensuring that the college community and its’ facilities are safe and secure. The Public Safety Captain will be the Officer in charge of the Department in the absence of the Director of Public Safety and will assist the Director in all public safety planning and initiatives. This position works a 5 day on, 2 day off rotation.
1. Daily assignments
- Assign patrol officers for all shifts 2 weeks in advance.
- Ensure proper staffing—filling shift vacancies, including overtime and scheduling officers to work for all special events.
- Implement campus patrols and make changes as needed.
- Supervise and conduct investigations.
- Enforce traffic and parking controls.
- Receive and review daily patrol logs, computerized data entry regarding calls for service, campus occurrences and all written reports regarding incidents. Assist the Director in the daily Significant Incident report.
- Monitor and observe patrol officer functioning during assigned shift or as directed and inform the shift supervisor of action taken.
- Respond and supervise responses to all emergencies and until director otherwise advises.
- Assist the Director with payroll and purchasing.
- Work with the Director in developing new programs that would benefit the departments as well as the college community.
2. Assist in the training of Public Safety staff to ensure that all Public Safety staff understand and adhere to all college rules and regulations and Department Procedures and Massachusetts General Law.
3. At times, perform the duties of a DPS police officer/dispatch on an assigned shift.
- Maintain good physical condition, ability to protect self and others in a conflict situation.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to operate a Curry College Public Safety vehicle.
- Making decisions after evaluating pertinent information in charts, graphs, reports.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Working knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws.
4. Perform other duties as directed in the best interest of the College.
5. In the absence of the Director, will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department.
- Act as the liaison to Residence Life staff, Building and Grounds, municipal agencies such as MPD and MFD and state agencies as required and to attend to regular meetings with stated departments when scheduled.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality, parameters of operation, professional protocols, and individual privacy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor of his/her designee.
- Minimum of an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
- Graduate of a recognized law enforcement academy.
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- Basic First Aid and CPR certification.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks and physical.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
- Four years of progressively responsible public safety experience in a campus setting or similar area, or three years in law enforcement.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the college, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.