Fellow (Post Doc)
General Description of Position:
Department of Entomology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS. 12-month, full-time (40 hours/week), postdoctoral fellow. Anticipated length of appointment: 2 years. Annual renewal contingent on satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
The Successful Candidate will:
- Perform comparative genomic and gene/protein evolution analyses to understand the evolution of house fly immune genes (effectors, receptors) and their co-option for living in septic environments.
- Analyze comparative transcriptomics (RNAseq) data and perform related gene expression analyses (e.g., qRTPCR) to identify genes involved in house fly-bacteria interactions across life history.
- Candidate will be working in a scientific laboratory conducting research.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in biology, biochemistry, chemistry or any relevant sub-discipline.
- Experience in comparative genomics and/or transcriptomics, gene/protein evolution, gene expression (mRNA, protein) must be substantiated in reference letters and/or previous publications.
- Must have excellent technical, organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
Experience in entomology and/or microbiology (rearing and manipulating insects, culturing bacteria) not required, but desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit the following documents:
1) a letter of application elaborating qualifications
2) detailed curriculum vitae
3) copies of university transcripts
4) contact information including e-mail addresses of at least three professional references
For further information about the position, contact Dr. Ludek Zurek at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
October 16, 2017, and continues until suitable candidate is found.
Salary:$47,476 - $50,000 annually plus the State of Kansas Employee Benefits
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.