Staff Writer / Content Manager
About SUNY Cobleskill
The State University of New York College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill is an accredited polytechnic college that is primarily baccalaureate and residential. SUNY Cobleskill is one of few institutions in the United States where an undergraduate student may also choose to earn an associate degree. The College has an enrollment of approximately 2,500 students in 52 programs divided into two schools, Agriculture and Natural Resources; Business and Liberal Arts & Sciences. An economic engine for rural New York, SUNY Cobleskill is home to a wide array of extended learning and professional development opportunities.
Modeling experiential education, SUNY Cobleskill is committed to providing small classes, excellent facilities, and a hands-on learning environment. Whether students plan to further their education or begin their professional careers, they graduate with the foundation to pursue their goals and to succeed.
A dynamic Staff Writer/Content Manager is sought to join the Communications and Marketing team at SUNY Cobleskill. This position reports to the Director of Communications & Marketing.
This position provides editorial support in communicating consistent brand messaging across print and electronic media, and works directly with College departments to research, write, edit and organize social media posts, press and public relations material, advertising and marketing collateral. The Staff Writer/Content Manager works to ensure college-wide consistency and collaborates with Communications and Marketing staff to produce high quality, creative messaging while being a positive and productive member of the team. The Staff Writer/Content Manager works closely with other C&M team members, College staff and faculty.
Duties of the Staff Writer/Content Manager include:
- providing editorial support in communicating consistent brand messaging across media and ensuring college-wide message consistency
- working directly with College departments to research, write, edit and manage content
- collaborating with Communications and Marketing staff to produce high quality, creative content
- working with the Director to write and organize social media posts; write, edit and publish press releases; organize and create press contact lists for news distribution; organize content and write and edit the College magazine; write advertising and marketing collateral
- working with the Director, department colleagues, faculty and staff to write and/or edit web content and scripts for video
- working with the Director and department colleagues on strategic communications planning
- researching, preparing and editing other communications including talking points, remarks, scripts, multimedia presentations, correspondence, the annual report, fundraising appeals and other publications as necessary
- A Bachelor's degree is required for this position
- Skilled in developing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office products
- Excellent conceptual skills and writing ability across media, including print, web, social, marketing, press, advertising and emergency communications
- Demonstrated experience in social media communications from concept to posting across all platforms
- Highly organized team player who is able to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and work collaboratively with Communications and Marketing team members, including print, web, social media, and photography/video
- Understanding and ability to communicate brand position and marketing opportunities in every communication
- Ability to develop and maintain a "brand voice" applicable to all communications
- Excellent time management skills
- Flexibility in schedule to cover campus events, that may include some evenings and weekends.
In addition to the aforementioned minimum qualifications, it is preferred the candidate also have:
A Bachelor's degree in Communications or closely related field
Minimum five years of work experience as a Writer and/or Content Manager including social media, press and public relations material, editorial, advertising and marketing collatera
The application review process will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. Priority is given to applications submitted by October 17, 2017.
Completed application consists of the following:
1. Letter of application, addressing qualifications, position responsibilities, and college values
2. Current CV or Resume
3. Names, emails and phone numbers of at least three professional references
4. At least 2 relevant writing samples (press release, web site, marketing brochure, advertising, or social media campaign)