San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks innovative candidates for the position of Business Librarian to proactively develop business research services for the Fowler College of Business and other University centers, institutes and programs with the field of business such as the Wells Fargo Financial Markets Lab and the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center.
As the largest college on the SDSU campus, the Fowler College of Business is particularly connected to the San Diego community and holds top ranking programs such as its undergraduate business program ranked in the top 100 by U.S. News & World Report and its full-time MBA program ranked in the top 100 by Bloomberg/BusinessWeek.
This position presents an exciting opportunity for a self-starter with excellent communication skills, strong initiative, and a high degree of interest in business librarianship. The Business Librarian will utilize their thorough knowledge of business information resources to develop outreach and support programs for this dynamic college. These services and programs will include research consultations, course-specific instruction and educational workshops, collection development of business-specific information material, and other forward-looking library services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Serve as a liaison to Fowler College of Business, the Department of Economics, Recreation and Tourism Management Program, School of Hospitality and Tourism Management;
- Apply business resource expertise to develop and teach course-related and resource-specific instruction;
- Provide research assistance to faculty, staff, and students in business-related programs;
- Create and maintain online research guides and tutorials in assigned subject areas;
- Apply a thorough knowledge of current information resources in business to lead the development and assessment of the library’s business collections;
- Conduct outreach efforts targeting faculty, students, and staff in the Fowler College of Business and other University centers, institutes, and programs within the field of business;
- Work with library administration to ensure the alignment of business library support with the accreditation requirements of the Fowler College of Business;
- Participate in shared general undergraduate information literacy instruction and reference;
- Participate in professional development activities to demonstrate a continuous and meritorious record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession; and,
- Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on campus, library and California State University system-wide committees as needed.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in the field of business;
- Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in business librarianship;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Ability to work effectively in collegial environments;
- Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community;
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Two years’ professional experience in an academic library;
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in business or a related discipline;
- Experience as a library liaison to business and/or economics programs;
- Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
- Experience with collection development;
- Experience in the development of research guides and/or tutorials;
- Experience working with multicultural and international student groups;
- Ability to plan, design, implement, assess library programs and services;
- Demonstrate research expertise with commercial and academic business databases.
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 22 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 34,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by October 18, 2017. Applicants must apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/45047. Anticipated start date is January 2018.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.