Human Resources Specialist - Information Trust Institute (A1700604)
Human Resources Specialist
Information Trust Institute
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Extended until October 23, 2017
The Information Trust Institute (ITI) in the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Human Resources (HR) Specialist. Reporting to the Associate Director of ITI, the HR Specialist exercises professional judgment and discretion in the coordination of HR operations, which include employment and hiring practices, appointments and visa processing, and other related HR functions in support of the faculty, staff and administration for ITI.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the hiring activity for Academic Professional and other Academic positions, including but not limited to position development and approval, end-to-end search documentation and approvals, recruitment advertising, search team training, interview participation and coordination, and reference checking. Act as point of contact for ODEA regarding departmental hiring activity.
- Facilitate the Civil Service hiring requests and procedures, working closely with Staff Human Resources and the College of Engineering, using sound judgment in developing new and existing positions, which includes position development and approval, employee requisitions, candidate interviews and selection process, and critical judgment in reference checking.
- Develop and utilize procedures and templates for all ITI HR operation to drive efficiency, compliance, and sound HR operations for ITI.
- Facilitate robust, employee-focused onboarding and exit strategies for ITI.
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures related to visa (J-1, H-1, F-1 OPT, etc.) and green card processing and paperwork; work closely with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, sponsoring faculty and business units, and foreign nationals throughout the various processes; convey foreign national and visa processing policies and proper procedures to faculty and staff within the departments.
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring compliance (and non-compliance actions) in areas such as: Performance Reviews, Semester appointment submission, Ethics Training, ANCRA Training, Title IX Training, and AVSL reporting.
- Provide timely, efficient service for all academic and civil service appointments processing, including insight and recommendations on various appointment requests (often non-standard appointments), working closely with central HR units on campus and within the College of Engineering, and in accordance with University policy and procedures.
- Responsible for all hiring activity for hourly, undergraduate, and graduate employee appointments processing on an as-needed basis, and particularly during peak processing periods, which may entail writing job descriptions, performing rate verifications, I-9 & E-Verify compliance, and all work involved with various campus HR and my.ITI applications.
- Serve as the primary processor for bi-weekly staff payroll, communicate leave practices and policies, and ensure compliance with campus, college and departmental payroll and leave reporting policies. Adhere to FMLA and ADA compliance matters.
- Conduct research, interpret findings, and make recommendations for various HR-related appointments and hiring practices given the complex, interdisciplinary nature of appointments and HR work within ITI, all the while working closely with a variety of constituents to make such recommendations and provide feedback (i.e., Central HR, Engineering HR, ITI leadership, business/grants office, etc.).
- Assume appropriate HR-related additional duties to further the mission of the departments and the College.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Organizational Administration, or related field.
- Minimum of two years of progressive work experience that demonstrates strong ability to research, interpret, and make recommendations based on HR policy.
- Proven track record of customer service.
- Results oriented with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills, the ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents, and the ability to concurrently manage multiple complex tasks.
- Public university experience providing human resources support and coordination.
- Experience in documentation, training, search and hire practices, visa processing, and/or appointments processing.
- Project management training and/or experience working on HR information systems projects
- Working knowledge of University of Illinois business and human resources policies and procedures.
- Professional certification.
The HR Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by October 23, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Thurman Etchison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-300-2193 .
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Human Resources Specialist - Information Trust Institute (A1700604)
Open Date: 09/25/2017
Close Date: 10/23/2017
Organization Name: Information Trust Institute