Software Engineer/Senior Software Engineer- Extended Search
Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
Location: Urbana and/or Chicago
University of Illinois
Administrative Information Technology Services
Software Engineer/Senior Software Engineer
Chicago or Urbana Campus
1. Perform system analysis, design, development and unit testing of batch, mobile and web applications potentially using one or more the following technologies: Java, Informatica, OpenEAI, Lotus Domino, .Net, ColdFusion, SQL Server, iOS Development Suite, Android Development Suite or Oracle.
2. Provide technical support and product customization for third party enterprise applications such as Banner, Upside, DARWin, CAS, WCMS (Web Content Management Systems), Sharepoint, etc.
3. Provide support for existing applications, including bug fixes, routine maintenance, mandated maintenance, functional issues, and performance issues.
4. Translate customer requirements into detailed technical design specifications using AITS' standard design patterns and frameworks.
5. Analyze, develop, test, and deploy applications based upon standards and practices established through the AITS SDLC as well as Application Development and Support (ADS) department standards and guidelines.
6. Develop applications utilizing sound security practices and techniques. This includes resolving any vulnerability issues discovered in the application during vulnerability scans.
7. Develop applications utilizing sound accessibility practices and techniques. This includes resolving any accessibility issues discovered in the application during accessibility scans.
8. Provide estimates for various development tasks throughout the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
9. Create and maintain documentation for analysis, design, development, unit testing, and implementation activities.
10. Gather technical requirements.
11. Participate in or lead code walkthroughs.
12. Collaboratively work with more senior and junior personnel in various situations where it is necessary to either receive or provide coaching and mentoring.
13. Work with a wide variety of clients, analysts, and support personnel.
14. Communicate ideas, requirements, application behavior, and design concepts through written and verbal communications.
15. Participate in technical information sharing opportunities with fellow team members.
16. Provide project management support for small and medium projects as assigned.
17. Make technical recommendations based on best practices, internal policies, and past experiences.
18. Comply with University and department standards for time reporting including time tracking in Clarity, Academic Vacation and Sick Leave (AVSL), and Positive Time Reporting (PTR).
19. Comply with AITS and University security standards and practices.
20. Comply with AITS application migration and roll-out standards and practices.
21. Provide on-call and off-hours support as assigned.
22. Perform other related duties as assigned appropriate for a Software Engineer.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, the Senior Software Engineer will be expected to resolve customer complaints with products and respond to suggestions for improvements and enhancements; provide project management support for medium and large projects as assigned with the ability to lead small projects or act as department coordinator for large scale projects; and research, evaluate, and incorporate new technology and tools to enhance the development process; make technical recommendations based on best practices, internal policies, and past experiences.
Candidate must possess a bachelor degree in Computer Science, Management Information Sciences, Engineering or related field with at least three years of software development experience which includes work on complex projects requiring increased skill in multiple technology environments and knowledge of specific business areas. Other requirements include: demonstrated experience using Java or other Object Oriented languages to develop batch, web, and reporting applications; working knowledge of relational database concepts including structured queries using SQL and JDBC; experience with web and application servers; experience with markup languages such as HTML and XML; strong project, analysis, and research skills; excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; and ability to work independently and in a team environment. Preferred requirements include: Java Messaging Service (JMS) principles and coding; AJAX principles and coding; web service principles and coding; experience with Oracle databases; higher education experience.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by October 16, 2017 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
HR Service Center
449 Henry Administration Building, MC 341
506 South Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 10/16/2017