Corporate Relations Manager
Corporate Relations Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt, 3 year position
Reports to: Vice President for College Advancement
Experiential education and close ties to industry are the foundation on which Paul Smith's College is based. The College has been known since its founding for deep ties with industry that are an integral part of its hands-on, real world approach to education.
Many of the college's critical activities such as robust externships and structured internships, engagement in the classroom, company sponsorship for social events for students, participation in national events such as the U.S. Open are facilitated through robust engagement between companies and students. This position is responsible for developing and leading a systematic approach to partnerships that offer a robust experience for students, and quality student interns/externs and project based work for corporate partners.
The External Relations Manager is a proactive, senior leader responsible for engaging private-sector partners through innovative approaches such as the Preferred Partner Initiative, and to attract and retain corporations and other organizations as well as foundations as program sponsors and/or affinity partners. The Manager serves as a customer relationship manager with significant partners, linking current and potential partners with the appropriate Paul Smith's team, and attracts and retains industry financial support for Paul Smith's programs.
As a senior relationship manager, the Director for Engagement leads college efforts to develop partnerships, create externships, internships, faculty collaborations, engagement in classes, arrange for company support for projects (e.g. gifts-in-kind), etc. Specific desired outcomes include the following:
* Develop robust partnerships for semester-long internship/externships where students work and study off campus resulting in increased enrollment in targeted academic areas
* Develop corporate giving opportunities for sponsored activities, gifts-in-kind, etc.
* Match partners with appropriate faculty and staff. This includes coordinating essential activities such as internships, externships, classroom visits, hosting of events, and facilitating corporate donations/support
The Manager reports to and participates with the Vice President for College Advancement in the overall planning, integration, and oversight of all institutional development programs; serves as a resource to all academic units; and has oversight responsibility in formation of corporate partnerships, corporate giving policies, and as an advocate for the organization to meet the specific goals of evolving the PSC curriculum to meet prospective student interests and workforce development demands.
This is a three year position. If the program generates sufficient revenue in that time, the position will become permanent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serving as the primary facilitator and liaison between academic departments and the corporate community to expand experiential learning opportunities, and create pipelines for students from partner organizations as outlined in the Preferred Partners Initiative (PPI).
• Identifying, engaging, and securing support from corporations for institutional projects.
• Coordinating corporate fundraising for academic and public programming units; working closely with department chairs and Cabinet in establishing corporate funding priorities; advising on trends in the philanthropic world.
• Education and compliance across the organization with policies and Procedures related to corporate affiliations and sponsorship.
• Developing and implementing programs that result in increased enrollment through targeted pipeline programs
• Planning fund-raising strategy and achieving specific annual financial goals, including identification of potential sponsors and settling on appropriate targets for funding.
• Monitoring and assisting the fulfillment of institutional obligations to funders/partners.
• Assuring that all corporate donors are responsibly stewarded for their gifts and that strong relationships are maintained.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• In-depth understanding of current philanthropic and public relations interests of corporations, acquired through regular contact with those organizations.
• Demonstrated track record of securing/maintaining revenue-generating relationships
• A minimum of five years professional experience in corporate development, or equivalent business experience including:
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Ability to organize corporate advancement activities effectively, prioritize prospects, and participate in high-level strategic discussions concerning the PPI, as well as philanthropic objectives.
• Goal orientation with a high level of energy, enthusiasm and dedication to the mission and goals of the college.
• Ability to effectively plan, focus, and execute to bring improvement to current ways of doing business.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability and personality to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues, volunteers and donors.
• Strong leadership and teaming skills.
• Sound judgment and integrity.
• Personal energy and enthusiasm and the ability to energize and motivate others.
• Availability for regional and national travel.
• Bachelor's Degree required.
Applicants may submit a letter of intent, resume and contact information for three professional references. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent in Pdf or Microsoft Word™ format to: email@example.com
Mailing address: Human Resources, Paul Smith's College, PO Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970.
Faxed to: (518) 327-6161.
Paul Smith's College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal
opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V