Communications Specialist III - Publications
Communications Specialist III - Publications
Communications Specialist III
Univ Relations Com & Mktng-Gen - 180000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
As the chief communications organization for the University of North Texas, the Division of University Relations, Communication and Marketing (URCM) collaborates with internal and external partners to:
* Advance and protect UNT's institutional identity and reputation
* Reinforce and grow UNT's brand in graphics, images and words
* Increase UNT's visibility in public and in the higher education marketplace
* Support UNT's student recruitment, retention and graduation goals
* Strengthen UNT's relevance and value to key audiences, including alumni, donors, faculty and staff members, and encourage community engagement
The University Relations Communications & Marketing Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Communications Specialist III - Publications to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Serve as a communications specialist with URCM's Publications and serve as an editor, writer and team lead on numerous publication projects throughout the year.
* Serve as editor and team lead on The North Texan (UNT's alumni magazine that reaches an audience of more than 190,000), this person plans, coordinates and collaborates with writers, photographers, designers and other editors through successful and complete production of feature packages and other departments of the publication.
* This person ensures that the content engages alumni, donors and friends of UNT informing them about news and the strategic goals of the university.
* Serves as a backup editor for top-level university materials and as an editor on numerous recruitment marketing publications targeting prospective undergraduate students. This person's role on the marketing pieces as an editor provides prospective students and their families with clear, concise and quality information as they are making the important decision of where to attend university.
* Serves as an editor for university branding projects.
* Serves as writer on several university publications, including The North Texan and UNT Research.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's Degree in related field and five years of experience in writing and/or editing publications; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Ability to conceptualize, write and edit strategic, accurate and concise content for university audiences.
* Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, conduct multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others including experience in creative editing and fact checking techniques.
* Develops cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group of people, often becomes the go to person in a group for information or connections to getting things done.
* Knowledge of how to contact sources and ability to conduct interviews and take accurate notes.
* Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
* Knowledge of writing guidelines for various media and ability to create unique copy for each format (print, online, broadcast).
* Understanding of institutional strategy (or ability to quickly assimilate) and ability to integrate the strategy into modes of communication.
* Ability to supervise and/or coordinate the work of others and responsible for the production of deadline driven high quality product
* Knowledge of and ability to research industry best practices to assist the division, college or unit in aligning strategies for UNT publications (print and digital) with University strategy and guidelines and effectively edit and improve content for readers based on best practices.
* Ability to coordinate large projects with numerous components over extended periods of time.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Previous professional writing experience, particularly in persuasive or journalistic-style writing.
* Ability to understand and apply compelling storytelling techniques to ensure various types of content resonate with targeted audiences.
* Ability to conceptualize, write and edit strategic, accurate and concise content for various internal and external university audiences through appropriate publications and communication channels.
* Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others using editing and proofreading symbols; able to fact-check copy for accuracy.
* Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop) with an eye for graphic design, magazine/publication layouts and use of photography.
* Ability to conceptualize, develop and implement integrated strategic communication plans for university initiatives and campaigns including assessment, measurement and effectiveness.
* Ability to foster cooperation, rapport and teamwork while participating in a group of people on projects, working toward solutions for successful outcomes.
* Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others including coaching and mentoring of students and other team members.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter, writing samples and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting