JOB NO.: 103034-US
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: FP&M/PP SHOPS/STEAMFITTING
Categories: Architecture, Construction, Planning, Facilities, Skilled Trades, Maintenance
Employment Class: University Staff-Ongoing
Position Vacancy ID: 103034
Working Title: STEAMFITTER
Official Title: STEAMFITTER(76600)
Hiring Department: A717108-FACILITIES PLNG AND MGMT/PP SHOPS/STEAMFITTING
Term: This is an Ongoing appointment
This is a Steamfitter-Journey position with the Facilities Planning and Management Division, Physical Plant, Steamfitter Shop.
The University of Wisconsin Physical Plant is committed to the highest standard of customer relations principles for its customers, fellow staff members, students, and visitors. Staff will serve as role models by practicing exemplary behaviors when working with customers and fellow staff members.
8:00 am to 4:30pm, 30 min unpaid lunch break, Monday - Friday.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process.
Starting pay is $43.42 to $44.83 per hour depending on leave time selected.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter. To be minimally qualified you must have the Requirement for Journey Level Recognition see requirements below.
In your cover letter please describe your Steamfitting work experience, service work experience, and Digital Control experience.
Requirements for Journey Level Recognition: The purpose of this questionnaire is to determine whether you are a recognized journey level Steamfitter, and, therefore, eligible to compete and qualify for Steamfitter vacancies with the University of Wisconsin Madison. This part of the examination process will screen applicants for journey level recognition.
Journey level (or equivalent) status must be earned by completing at least 8,000 hours of training and experience in all of the following work processes:
- installation of residential and apartment heating systems
- installation of industrial and commercial heating, ventilation and refrigeration systems
- installation and repair of power house systems
- repair and servicing of all types of heating, refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- installation and final testing of all types of refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- installation and final adjustment of temperature controls
- completion of 500 hours of prescribed instruction.
Formal Apprenticeship: The traditional method of earning journey level status in an apprentice trade is through an indenture between an apprentice, an employer, and, if appropriate, the trade organization. During the term of the indenture, the apprentice would be directly supervised by one or more journey workers. During the indenture, the apprentice would be rotated through all work processes and operations appropriate to the respective trade. Upon recommendation of the supervising journey worker, and approval by an appropriate authority, an apprentice would earn journey level recognition in the trade in which the indenture was served.
Current Recognition: An alternate method of verifying acquisition of the required journey level skills is to present evidence of current (or fairly recent past) employment as a Journey level Steamfitter by an appropriate authority.
Equivalent Training and Experience: Another method of verifying acquisition of the required Journey level skills is to present evidence of having performed all of the activities listed above (at least 8,000 hours); such evidence may include letters or statements from past customers/clients and/or employers.
Please indicate in your cover letter which of the requirements for Journey level recognition you have.
1. I have successfully completed an approved apprenticeship in the Steamfitter craft, and can provide verification if required to do so.
2. I am currently employed as a journey level Steamfitter and am recognized as such by an appropriate authority (e.g., labor union, trade organization, etc.) and can provide verification if required to do so.
3. I have performed at least 8,000 hours in the work processes as listed above and can provide verification if required to do so.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Probationary Period will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Sep 15 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Oct 13 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time