Job Number: 76440
The Stanford University School of Medicine continuing medical education (CME) program promotes continuous improvement in patient health care by providing physicians and other health care professionals with high quality, evidence-based educational activities focusing on advances in medicine, new medical technology, biomedical research, and changes in the health care environment. The overall goal of the program is to augment physician knowledge, enhance competence and performance in practice, and ultimately improve patient outcomes. To learn more about our educational programs, please visit us at http://cme.stanford.edu.
The Stanford Center for Continuing Medical Education is seeking an Operations Manager to lead and manage the Operations team charged with producing high-quality continuing medical education (CME) conferences and workshops. Reporting to the Associate Director of Education Development, the Operations Manager is responsible for identifying, prioritizing, planning and driving all operationally focused activities. The core duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as project manager of multiple activities, scope out project tasks/team assignments and guide team to create work plans and schedules, monitor progress, and meet milestones.
- Create and track detailed work plans and timelines which identify and sequence the activities needed to successfully implement conferences.
- Provide operational support for technologies that strengthen our CME activities including evaluation and assessment of new technologies (in collaboration with the Associate Director, Education Development), oversight of their implementation, staff adoption, management, and staff orientation and training.
- In conjunction with the Education Development team, meet with stakeholders to plan the scope and format of conferences, establish and monitor budgets, and review administrative procedures and course progress in a timely manner and in compliance with ACCME, AMA and SoM requirements including, but not limited to:
- Work directly with venue to acquire and manage conference space, catering, audio-visual, room block and any special needs.
- Develop and implement marketing plans for conferences, including but not limited to: working with external list brokers and graphic designers for brochure development, running database lists, developing conference website, registering learners who need assistance, communicating registration status to planners, and analyzing participant demographics.
- Coordinate with the Education Development team to develop course evaluations, manage their implementation, compile and analyze evaluation data, develop evaluation reports and share results with the stakeholders.
- Facilitate appropriate application of adult learning theory and educational design principles in activity planning.
- Alternating with the Associate Director, Education Development, serve as the onsite meeting manager at events by providing onsite coordination and oversight of registration processes, set-up/breakdown, speaker assistance, audiovisual services (including learning focused technologies such as ARS), catering, and other duties as required.
- Accurately prepare and submit course closeout documents and final budget reconciliation.
- Oversee the management of event teams and/or production consultants to produce quality, multi-faceted events and productions.
- Collaborate with the Education Development team to assure the coordinated and smooth execution of educational activities, outcomes strategy, budget development and reconciliation, milestone reporting, external reporting and audits.
- Develop standardized operational processes and associated policies.
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal and external university partners. Negotiate and monitor contracts with venues and vendors ensuring terms that meet the needs of SCCME and Stanford requirements and benefit conferences.
- Lead negotiations with and management of technology partners (e.g. learner and event management system, Adobe Sign, CVent).
- Operate as account manager on deliverables, program metrics, and status reports.
- Work cross-departmentally to prepare and manage complex program budgets.
- Review, make recommendations and approve budget development work of the Operations team, including interfacing with educational partners to ensure their understanding and acceptance.
- Collaborate with EPS Finance team to reconcile course budgets and transfer funds for course surpluses or deficits.
- Work with the Education Development team to identify potential sources of external funding and/or in-kind support for conferences within the guidelines and policies of the SoM.
- May hire and oversee support staff, students and contingent event staff. Train and supervise CME Coordinators in the proper execution and implementation of events. Directly supervise CME Coordinators, including making decisions on hiring, performance management, and staff development, Hire, develop, direct, train, and oversee contingent Conference Support staff.
- * - Other duties may also be assigned
- Proven ability to develop timelines for multiple projects and conduct business in a manner designed to monitor and successfully meet those deadlines without supervision.
- Experience building positive, collaborative relationships with clients while maintaining compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience leading team efforts in a fast-paced, complex environment with multiple projects, tight deadlines, and shifting priorities.
- Excellent contract negotiation skills.
- Superior organization skills.
- Demonstrated process improvement, project management, and/or group facilitation skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Experience and confidence with various software and technical tools to include project management tracking (e.g. SmartSheet), online survey instruments (e.g. Qualtrics), and relational database experience (e.g. MS Access)
- Ability to function independently.
- Knowledge and understanding of accreditation compliance (continuing medical education/continuing professional development or related field).
- Understanding of adult education principles and their application to educational planning and evaluation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Superior project and event management skills.
- Ability to manage a diverse team of staff and contingent labor, holding them to deadlines and the highest quality output.
- Demonstrated experience with financial management of complex event budgets requiring excellent analytical skills.
- Extreme attention to detail and deadlines; ability to prioritize and manage complex workflows.
- Excellent communication, time management, and customer service skills. Must be well organized and detailed oriented.
- Ability to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels, with diplomacy and tactfulness.
- Demonstrated high level of confidence in making strategic decisions, good judgment, and innovative and creative problem solving skills.
Valid Non-Commercial Class California Driver's License.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, perform desk-based computer tasks, use a telephone.
- Occasionally kneel/crawl, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, and grasp forcefully, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21-40 pounds.
- Drive vehicle day and/or night with non-commercial license.
- Frequently use a telephone or participate in video conferences.
Requires local and some national travel and working evenings and weekends.
About Stanford UniversityStanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote health, fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.