Acquisitions and Cataloging Librarian
Acquisitions and Cataloging Librarian
Job: IRC 25279
Location: San Diego, CA., US
Organization Name: Copley Library
The University of San Diego's Copley Library seeks an energetic and enthusiastic individual for a tenure track library faculty position as Acquisitions and Cataloging Librarian. The successful candidate will manage daily operations for firm and standing order acquisitions, cataloging, and authority control in Copley Library and will provide metadata expertise for digital initiatives.
Reporting to the University Librarian and working under the direction of the Head of Collections, Access, and Discovery, the Acquisitions and Cataloging Librarian is responsible for supervising two staff positions in the Technical Services unit. He/she manages the acquisition and receipt of firm and standing orders in digital or print format for Copley Library. As Copley Library's cataloging and metadata specialist, the Acquisitions and Cataloging Librarian provides oversight for the description of digital and print monographic, audiovisual and other non-serial materials. Duties include performing original cataloging on a variety of formats and subject areas; collecting and analyzing data and statistics of monographs and audiovisual resources for budgeting and reporting; coordinating authority control and database maintenance; staying abreast of emerging trends and best practices related to metadata, digital and print monographs publishing, and audiovisual format developments; serving on relevant library and university committees; and participating in professional organizations that focus on acquisitions and cataloging. This position serves as a liaison to one academic department. This is a 12-month tenure-track library faculty position.
• ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree
• Two or more years of related experience in cataloging or acquisitions within technical services operation in an academic library
• Experience with an integrated library system, preferably III's Sierra
• Demonstrated training or experience working in cataloging/metadata with knowledge of: AACR2 and RDA standards; MARC and Dublin Core formats; OCLC Connexion; and Library of Congress subject headings and classification
• Experience with authority control
• Strong analytical, problem solving, time management, and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Experience using spreadsheets
• Demonstrated ability to work well individually and within a team in an evolving work environment
• Demonstrated commitment to service and user access
• Demonstrated potential to meet requirements of tenure and promotion of the library Reappointment, Rank and Tenure process, including pursuit of a research agenda and participation in professional organizations within the field of academic librarianship or job-related field.
• Demonstrated ability to work with departmental colleagues, library faculty and staff and faculty in academic departments
• Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems, such as XML, Oxygen, MarcEdit
• Experience in collection development/acquisitions
• Experience with cataloging a variety of formats
• Experience with metadata and digital projects
• Experience communicating with vendors
• Supervisory experience
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, including relocation costs, a variety of housing options, medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), education benefits, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer.
The University of San Diego is ranked #1 on the 2018 Best Choice Schools the #1 most beautiful college campus in the United States.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree
Deadline: Formal review of applications will begin immediately, and continues until the position is filled.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, to include social security verification and federal/county criminal check.
How to Apply:
To apply, go to https://usdebsprod.sandiego.edu and follow these steps:
1. Click on the link for current faculty openings.
2. Click on the link for IRC 25279
3. Click Apply Now and register as an applicant.
4. Please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). If youhave difficulty uploading any documents, please contact Human Resources at
(619) 260-6806or(619) 260-2725and reference job posting IRC 25279
a. Letter of application
c. Names, addresses and telephone numbers of five professional references
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, Dean of the University Library,(619) 260-2379,