General Food Service Manager
This position plans, organizes, and directs all activities of a large scale full menu food service operation which may include scratch preparation kitchen, and multiple customer service stations for eat-in and take-out foods. This position is responsible for managing the location effectively in order to support the mission of Miami University through the goals and objectives of the Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services.
- Plans and supervises the day-to-day activities of food preparation and service, in such a manner that it ensures an effective, efficient and economical operation.
- Enforces university and departmental policies, procedures, work rules, performance standards, and codes of conduct.
- Maintains effective control over labor, food, supplies, utilities, and other costs.
- Coordinates the custodial and maintenance care of the facility, works with appropriate university support staff to accomplish objectives. Addresses building, facilities, and equipment maintenance or repair needs appropriately.
- Order food and supplies. Oversees the proper care and handling of food, equipment, facilities, and supplies to provide a safe and sanitary food service operation. Maintains appropriate inventory of food and supplies.
- Merchandises products and services available to student customers.
- Works closely with students, advisors, and guests to develop rapport and understanding. Actively seeks student opinion about food and service where applicable Acts promptly and in a helpful manner when dealing with customer questions and concerns, including responding to written comments and suggestions.
- Demonstrates effective leadership. Sets a positive, enthusiastic tone for dining service staff that is customer oriented. Communicates effectively with unit staff, fellow-members of the food service management team, others within the university community, and the general public.
- Gives direction and assistance to all staff in all areas of food operation including the preparation of food and provision of service according to the high standards of the department. Provides necessary training and follow up for all staff to improve work performance.
- Delegates responsibility in order to motivate and develop subordinates.
- Evaluates work performance of staff on a continual basis. Recommends discipline as needed. Develops staff in order to increase the effectiveness of each member.
- Prepares and maintains records, reports, and evaluations reflecting the conditions under which functions are carried out and the efficiency and economy of operations.
- Strives to make the dining service a better place for staff to work. This should include improving the work environment. Pursues personal self-development to reach a higher level of professional competence.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associate’s degree in a related field (Hospitality Management, Culinary Arts, Dietetics, Management, etc.) and 3 – 5 years of progressive experience in vending or other food service operations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Candidate must demonstrate proficiency in all phases of food service operations, including utilizing related equipment and following standard safety procedures, budget formulation, and report, and payroll preparation; the ability to organize work and train and supervise subordinate staff effectively; use proficient oral and written communication skills; and establish professional working relationships with subordinate staff, co-workers, supervisors, other University personnel, students and the general public are a must. A strong background in customer relations and service is essential.
- Established records of employment performance (including attendance) are mandatory. Proficient use of computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.