Assistant Director of Lealtad-Suzuki Center
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Assistant Director of Lealtad-Suzuki Center to work in its Multicultural Life department. This position assumes primary responsibility for the programmatic management of Macalester College’s Cultural House. The incumbent coordinates LGBTQIA initiatives at Macalester; provides assistance in the program development of the Lealtad-Suzuki Center (the multicultural center on campus); and plays an important role in fostering and promoting a multi-culturally inclusive environment on Macalester’s campus.
• Coordinates and implements the programmatic, educational, and leadership development opportunities on issues of sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, and social justice
• Works to support and develop our LGBTQ undergraduate population and takes a primary role in the education of our larger student body on issues of sexual and gender diversity
• Supervises student program assistants
• Provides leadership for the management of the programmatic experience of the Cultural House, a multi-functional facility that includes a programming structure, a cultural student organization office space, a residential component, resource areas, and other comfortable spaces for people to connect with each other
• Maintains and updates the Cultural House Manual for use by Cultural House staff, residents, and cultural organizations
• Supervises the Cultural House student employee staff (three Programming Assistants, one Volunteer) and facilitates fall training for student staff
• Creates, plans, and implements new and existing Cultural House signature programs
• Assists Dean and Director with facilitating workshops, trainings, and dialogues for various departments and programs across campus
• Assists the Director of the Lealtad-Suzuki Center (LSC) with coordination of the Allies Project, an initiative that consists of a group of staff, faculty, and students who are committed to creating a safe environment and community for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, class, age, or ability
• Assists the Director of the Lealtad-Suzuki Center (LSC) with marketing and publicity strategies for the LSC and the DML, including web site maintenance, brochure creation, and other forms of print communication
• Works in collaboration with DML and other Student Affairs division staff
• Participates in College initiatives and committees
• Bachelor’s degree, plus 5 years professional experience with increasing responsibility in design, development, and implementation of multicultural programs and services, is required
• Or Master’s degree, plus 1 year of professional experience in design, development, and implementation of multicultural programs and services, is preferred
• Experience working in higher education and/or working with diverse communities is required
• Experience in workshop design and facilitation on social justice topics
• Demonstrated experience working and effectively communicating with diverse populations and creating inclusive communities
• Strong cross-cultural communication, leadership, and organizational skills
• Ability to think creatively, multi-task, and work well independently and collaboratively
• Ability to use Microsoft Office Programs and update website content
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours as requested, for special events
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than October 27, 2017. Review of applications will begin on immediately. This posting will close on October 27, 2017.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.