Professor & Chair of Toxicology and Cancer Biology
The University of Kentucky invites nominations and applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Toxicology and Cancer Biology in the College of Medicine.
The Department of Toxicology and Cancer Biology is a multidisciplinary unit for research and graduate education in the broad areas of Environmental Toxicology, Genomics and Epigenomics, Redox Biology, Metabolism, Cell Signaling, and Cancer Cell Biology. The Chair will have the opportunity to lead and expand one of the university's most successful biomedical science departments, which directly contributes to the research and educational missions of the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center, a vibrant and growing center that achieved NCI designation in 2013.
The Department of Toxicology and Cancer Biology is a research-intensive basic science department that contributes an average of $8M in extramural research support annually. The department is home to 16 tenured/tenure-track faculty with primary appointments and is further enhanced by approximately 44 faculty who have joint appointments in Toxicology and Cancer Biology, but whose primary appointments are in other university departments and colleges. The faculty members have prominent roles within the discipline, hold leadership positions in professional societies, and serve on editorial boards and study sections. The department runs a thriving graduate training program and has held an NIH T32 training grant that has supported doctoral students and fellows since 1990. The educational programs of the department are diverse and serve undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Additional information about the department is available at https://toxicology.med.uky.edu.
The chair is responsible for the overall direction and administrative leadership for educational, research, and engagement activities, as well as for the management of human resources and budgetary and fiscal resources. An earned doctorate (M.D., Ph.D., or M.D./Ph.D.) in an appropriate field of study, a record of accomplishments in education and research, a sustained record of extramural funding, and national and international reputations at a level commensurate with earning tenure at the rank of Professor are required.
Interested applicants should include along with application:
1) Current Curriculum Vitae
2) Cover Letter summarizing relevant experiences in leadership, administration, education, and research
3) Specific Request 1: Statement that articulates a vision for the department's future and its role within a multidisciplinary university environment.
Please also include contact information for at least three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters from your references within the employment system.
The position comes with a competitive salary, as well as start-up and benefits package. Applications will be reviewed beginning October 1, 2017, and will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled. Inquiries may be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee at email@example.com. Please note that, to be considered an applicant for the position, applications must be submitted via the UK Jobs website.
Professor & Chair of Toxicology and Cancer Biology
7H018:GRADUATE CENTER FOR TOXICOLOGY
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Doctorate (M.D., Ph.D., or M.D./Ph.D.)
Required Related Experience
A record of accomplishments in education and research, a sustained record of extramural funding, and national and international reputations at a level commensurate with earning tenure at the rank of Professor are required.
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * UK HealthCare recognizes the patient as our premier customer and promises to provide excellent customer services to patients, colleagues, co-workers and all others who seek our services. By applying for a position with UK HealthCare, I am indicating my commitment to service excellence and expressing my agreement to consistently recognize that: - Our customer is every person we come into contact with during our workday. - Service is being flexible, courteous and respectful while anticipating and fulfilling the needs of our customers. - Quality is the foundation of everything we do. It is our desire to provide exceptional service to every patient and customer we serve. - Careful, efficient and responsible management of our resources is vital to our success. - We want to attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent co-workers, which will in turn achieve customer loyalty and promote the growth of UK HealthCare. By submitting my application for employment with UK HealthCare, I acknowledge that I will be held accountable to follow the UK HealthCare Behavioral Expectations if selected for a position with UK HealthCare. Do you agree to abide by the UK HealthCare Standards?
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Academic Keys
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- Specific Request 1