Teaching Faculty I (SLS) Academic Center for Excellence (Division of Undergraduate Studies)
Job ID: 42393
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 01/01/9999
Academic Center for Excellence - Division of Undergraduate Studies Established in 2007, the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) is a university learning center. Our mission is to help the diverse population of undergraduate students at Florida State University develop the study skills and personal success habits that enhance learning and encourage the highest level of scholarship and academic achievement. ACE does this through a variety of services, including academic (SLS) coursework, non-credit programs and workshops, facilitated study sessions (PASS), advising, tutoring, and study facilities. ACE also collaborates with a variety of campus partners to ensure that students are aware of all the resources available to them. To learn more about the Academic Center for Excellence, please visit ace.fsu.edu.
The Teaching Faculty I position is a full-time specialized faculty (non-tenure track) position that will work with campus partners within and beyond the Division of Undergraduate Studies to develop and teach an academic success (SLS) course and provide a complement of services to support the academic success of transfer students. The focus of the SLS course, which will be mandated for transfer students in academic difficulty, is on the development and application of academic strategies for upper division course work with emphasis on self-regulated learning, time management skills, critical reading, exam preparation, personal success strategies, and knowledge of the research university and its resources.
Key responsibilities include:
• Teaching multiple sections of an academic strategies course for transfer students in academic difficulty.
• Evaluating and reporting on the impact of the academic success course and transfer services.
• Participating in ongoing curriculum innovation and maintaining updates to the syllabus template and curriculum management system (Canvas).
• Assisting with the selection and training of adjunct instructors as needed.
• Providing ongoing advising and academic support to transfer students through presentations, workshops, and individual consultations.
• Accessing student information systems and maintaining confidential records and program data.
• Serving on division and department committees as needed.
A completed doctorate or highest level terminal degree in educational psychology, higher education administration, student affairs, or a closely related field plus two years of experience working at a college or university, including some classroom teaching experience. Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint or comparable software.
The ideal candidate will have a doctorate in educational psychology, higher education administration, student affairs, or a closely related field. Other preferred qualifications include:
• Experience teaching student success (SLS) courses.
• Knowledge of college student development theory, self-regulated learning, transfer student issues and challenges, and best practices in teaching as well as student retention and graduation.
• Experience working with a diverse student population, including those experiencing academic difficulty.
If you should have questions or require assistance, please contact Dr. Patricia Golay at email@example.com.
Anticipated Salary Range
The salary range is firm at $45,000 to $50,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time, 12-month faculty position (non-tenure track but eligible for the specialized faculty promotion process in accordance with the Bylaws of the Division of Undergraduate Studies).
This position requires a set work schedule of 40 hours per week in the ACE Office at UCA to assist with staff coverage and supervision. Some evening and weekend hours will be required on occasion.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf