Instructional Specialist I - Supplemental Instruction (ACE)
Job ID: 42394
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 01/01/9999
Academic Center for Excellence - Division of Undergraduate Studies Established in 2007, the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) is a university learning center. Our mission is to help the diverse population of undergraduate students at Florida State University develop the study skills and personal success habits that enhance learning and encourage the highest level of scholarship and academic achievement. ACE does this through a variety of services, including academic (SLS) coursework, non-credit programs and workshops, facilitated study sessions (PASS), advising, tutoring, and study facilities. ACE also collaborates with a variety of campus partners to ensure that students are aware of all the resources available to them. To learn more about the Academic Center for Excellence, please visit ace.fsu.edu.
The Instructional Specialist I position is a full-time specialized faculty (non-tenure track) position that will provide leadership and day-to-day supervision of the Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) program at the ACE Learning Studio. PASS is an academic support program that offers regularly scheduled, out-of-class, peer-facilitated study sessions for undergraduate students enrolled in traditionally difficult academic courses.
Key responsibilities include:
• Providing strategic planning and ongoing program evaluation for the PASS program.
• Recruiting, training, supervising, and evaluating the performance of Graduate Assistants and undergraduate PASS leaders.
• Coordinating communication with faculty in various academic departments related to program offerings, PASS leader recruitment, and PASS leader performance issues.
• Marketing the PASS program to current undergraduate students enrolled in targeted courses.
• Compiling data and preparing reports to demonstrate program effectiveness.
• Teaching one or more sections of an academic success course each year as needed.
• Assisting with staff supervision and office coverage at the ACE Learning Studio.
A Master’s degree in curriculum and instruction, educational psychology, higher education administration, or a closely related field plus two years of work experience at a college or university. Must supervisory experience; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and a proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint or comparable software.
The ideal candidate will have a doctorate in curriculum and instruction, educational psychology, higher education administration, or a closely related field. Other preferred qualifications include:
• Experience working with academic support services at the university level, prior experience with or training in supplemental instruction programs, and knowledge of learning theories.
• Knowledge of college student development theory, self-regulated learning, student issues and challenges, and best practices in teaching and student retention and graduation.
• Experience working with a diverse student population, including those experiencing academic difficulty.
If you have questions or require assistance, please contact Dr. Courtney Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Salary Range
The salary range is firm at $45,000 to $50,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a Faculty position.
This is a full-time, 12-month faculty position (non-tenure track but eligible for the specialized faculty promotion process in accordance with the Bylaws of the Division of Undergraduate Studies). This position requires a set work schedule of 40 hours per week in the ACE Learning Studio to assist with staff coverage and supervision. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita. Application reviews will begin on September 15, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. The preferred starting date is October 2017.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf