Instructional Specialist I - Early Alert (ACE)
Job ID: 42395
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 01/01/9999
Academic Center for Excellence - Division of Undergraduate Studies Established in 2007, the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) is a university learning center. Our mission is to help the diverse population of undergraduate students at Florida State University develop the study skills and personal success habits that enhance learning and encourage the highest level of scholarship and academic achievement. ACE does this through a variety of services, including academic (SLS) coursework, non-credit programs and workshops, facilitated study sessions (PASS), advising, tutoring, and study facilities. ACE also collaborates with a variety of campus partners to ensure that students are aware of all the resources available to them. To learn more about the Academic Center for Excellence, please visit ace.fsu.edu.
The Instructional Specialist I position is a full-time specialized faculty (non-tenure track) position that will develop and provide day-to-day leadership and supervision of an Early Alert program at the ACE Learning Studio. The Early Alert program is being established as an academic support initiative to increase the retention and academic performance of undergraduate students by connecting struggling students to a range of campus resources – including undergraduate peer mentors who will be trained to help students to develop deep-level learning strategies and self-regulation skills.
Key responsibilities include:
• Researching, designing, and implementing an Early Alert program that is consistent with those at peer research universities.
• Providing strategic planning and ongoing program evaluation for the Early Alert program.
• Compiling data and preparing reports to demonstrate program effectiveness.
• Developing an intervention for identified students and communicating with them for appropriate referrals and resources.
• Recruiting, training, supervising, and evaluating the performance of undergraduate peer mentors.
• Marketing the Early Alert program to current faculty, training them how to use the reporting technology, and coordinating related communication with various academic departments.
• Teaching one or more sections of an academic success course each year as needed.
• Assisting with staff supervision and office coverage at the ACE Learning Studio.
A Master’s degree in educational psychology, higher education administration, student affairs, or a closely related field plus two years of experience working at a college or university. Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint or comparable software.
The ideal candidate will have a doctorate in educational psychology, higher education administration, student affairs, or a closely related field. Other preferred qualifications include:
• Experience teaching or working with academic support services at the university level.
• Knowledge of college student development theory, self-regulated learning, undergraduate student issues and challenges, and best practices in retention and graduation.
• Experience working with a diverse student population, including those experiencing academic difficulty.
If you have questions or require assistance, please contact Holly Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Salary Range
The salary range is firm at $45,000 to $50,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time, 12-month faculty position (non-tenure track but eligible for the specialized faculty promotion process in accordance with the Bylaws of the Division of Undergraduate Studies)
This position requires a set work schedule of 40 hours per week in the ACE Learning Studio to assist with staff coverage and supervision. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf