Billing and Claims Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO | Anschutz Medical Campus
COLLEGE OF NURSING | Sheridan Health Services
Billing and Claims Assistant - Temporary Hourly
Position # 00601826 - Requisition #11198
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing, is seeking a Billing and Claims Assistant for a temporary hourly position with the University Of Colorado College Of Nursing at its Sheridan Health Services clinics, in Denver, CO 80236. This position is needed for 30-40 hours/week for a period of up to 9 months. This position will be primarily responsible for working with claim balances, reviewing superbills before submitted for payment, assisting with deposit reconciliations and accounts receivable management for the clinics.
Sheridan Health Services (SHS) is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are now ~40 employees at two convenient locations to serve community health needs primarily for residents of Sheridan, Englewood, and North Littleton. A school-based clinic is located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The community health center is located in southwest Denver on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum care, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. http://www.nursing.ucdenver.edu/Sheridan
Work is performed under the general direction and authority of the Sheridan Health Services
Finance Manager, as part of the College of Nursing Office for Clinical and Community Affairs.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Evaluates daily work performed by clinic receptionists to assure accurate insurance/payment data is input at both time of check-in and check-out.
- Reviews and reconciles daily deposit report to entries in daily batch submittals.
- Reviews claim denials and adjustments in order to make corrections for resubmission.
- Works with Billing Coordinator to optimize accounts receivable, and identify write-offs and bad debts.
- Works flexible or extended hours where necessary.
- Performs special data collection projects and other assignments as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Solid PC and application skills required, particularly with Excel.
- Ability to handle high volume of work with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to understand and apply insurance contract language to claims billing.
- Experience with public and private insurance contracts, particularly with Medicare and Colorado Medicaid.
- 1-3 years direct experience in medical billing environment
- Experience with public and private insurance contracts
- 1 year of electronic health record experience
- Strong collaborative nature
- English/Spanish speaking
- Experience with federally qualified health center claims processing
- Certified Professional Coder certification
- 1 or more years of general accounting work
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 11198 When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Sep 22, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rod DeVriendt
Posting Contact Email: CON.HR@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00601826