Art Technician I-New Media
Art Technician I-New Media
Art Technician I
Studio Art - 136300
Is this an internal posting only?
The New Media Art program at the University of North Texas is the merging of art, culture, and technology.
Founded in 2011 as part of the College of Visual Arts and Design in Denton, TX, we offer a BFA, MFA and minor in New Media Art. Our program is unique as one of the only in the United States focused on the intersections of contemporary performance and media art practices at the undergraduate and graduate level. From both a student and faculty perspective, we respond to new ways of seeing and understanding the world in the 21st century.
Through creative and critical inquiry, we emphasize artistic excellence, active learning, socially engaged practices, and cross-discipline collaboration. Students in New Media Art courses explore methods of making in both the virtual and physical world. Through the body, the computer, and a collection of technological tools, students pursue independent studio projects culminating in an exhibition or event produced during a student's final semester. Courses in this major include: Art on Location (NYC), Media and Performance, Experimental Media & the Avant Garde, and Sound & Space.
We are seeking to hire an Art Technician I- New Media to join our team!
Learn more about UNT New Media at www.UNTNewMedia.com
The College of Visual Arts and Design (CVAD) at the University of North Texas (UNT) is one of the nation's most comprehensive visual arts schools at a public university, offering 30 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and concentrations in areas ranging from art history to communication design to new media. The college includes several institutes and centers, as well as art galleries to showcase student and professional work. CVAD offers the first and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas and a MFA program ranked 23rd nationally among public universities. CVAD is home to some of the highest rated art and design programs in the southern United States.
The Studio Art Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Art Technician I- New Media to join our team.
The Studio Technician for New Media Art will work hand in hand with faculty, students and staff to maintain studio art facilities, tools, furniture, and equipment in the all designated New Media studio spaces. We are seeking a team player with a strong organizational and technological background to help build the New Media Art program at UNT. Because we are an interdisciplinary program, our ideal Technician will be adaptable to a wide variety of tasks and functions relating to different aspects of new media art.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Ensure and maintain documentation of compliance with University and state and federal regulatory policies including but not limited to safety.
* Perform maintenance, repairs and updates on New Media equipment and studio spaces.
* Troubleshoot equipment/hardware/software problems.
* Supervise one or more student workers.
* Develop and maintain the New Media Department equipment check-out system.
* Document all New Media Art exhibitions and events and update all social media channels.
* Administrative duties as needed, including: scheduling, purchasing, inventories, and event planning.
* Other duties will be assigned as needed.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess an Associate's Degree and two years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
* A BFA + at least two years' experience working with a wide range of technologies (vary depending on applicant, but could be HD projectors, VR headsets, audio, dslr cameras or film).
* Demonstrated ability and willingness to write technological and information based manuals.
* Knowledge and experience with computers (PCs and Macs, preferably).
* Commitment to safe and efficient studio art practices.
* Strong organizational, time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
* Knowledge of contemporary practices in media & performance art.
* Flexible and creative problem solving skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting