Laboratory Assistant 2
Salary: $36,096 - $42,516
Title: Laboratory Assistant 2
Category: Science and Research
Department: Evolution, Ecology & Orgns Bio
Date Posted: 09/22/2017
Position Information: The Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology at University of California, Riverside seeks outstanding applicants for a Laboratory Assistant II position in the lab of Dr. Marko Spasojevic. The successful applicant will assist with research in plant community ecology and global change in California and Colorado. Duties include 1) identifying plants in both California and Colorado, 2) preparing plant samples for elemental and isotopic analyses, 3) mapping forest trees, and 4) general lab maintenance ordering supplies and maintaining a clean and safe lab and field environment. Candidates with good organizational skills and the ability to identify vascular plants are especially encouraged to apply.
Minimum Requirements: - Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Ability to conduct detailed measurements of plant functional traits: use a computer, scanner, analytical balance, chlorophyll meter, knowledge of plant anatomy and taxonomy.
- Ability to drive and work safely and independently in remote conditions.
- Ability to identify flora in California and Colorado research areas.
- Skill in mapping forest growth.
- Skill in using handheald GPS unit, analytical balance, pole-prunners, DBH tape, laser rangefinder, PC computer, Chlorophyll meter, scanner.
Preferred Qualifications: M.S. in Ecology.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview