Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Writer to work in its Communications and Public Relations Department. This position will write original material with an emphasis on fundraising and development to promote a positive image of the college, and inspire pride, trust, and action among primarily external audiences. The Writer will collaborate with key department colleagues and campus partners to advance a strategic communications plan; write, edit, and proofread college publications; oversee the layout and distribution of targeted newsletters; and research and write a variety of material including direct mail solicitations, fundraising campaign material, and official college communications.
• Use college strategic priorities, insights from past communication results, and an understanding of the audience to guide the development and distribution of written content
• Write and edit stories
• Work closely with Advancement staff to develop targeted communications, including online, direct mail, email, social media, and collateral for alumni engagement and development support
• Write and edit both print and online content and publications for college partners, with an emphasis on Advancement and in line with the voice of the college
• Edit content from a variety of sources for accuracy, tone and style, and proofread materials produced by the department
• Help uncover stories, generate creative ideas, and create effective vehicles for communicating with key audiences, including prospective and current students, alumni, donors, parents, national higher education opinion leaders, and others
• Maintain regular contact with campus partners to ensure their communication needs are being met
• Minimum of two years of experience writing for a donor audience
• Expert skills in news, feature, and persuasive writing, with ability to adapt tone and style for different audiences and purposes
• Exceptional skills in editing, proofing, and fact-checking copy
• Experience with social media channels and engagement
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Ability to work creatively and collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
• Proficient office technology skills, including: web page maintenance and experience with digital marketing and newsletter tools, such as Exact Target or Vertical Response
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field is required
• An appreciation of the value of a liberal arts education
• Ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
• Demonstration and promotion of positive, professional relationships across campus that underscores confidence in Advancement among colleagues, and with our constituents
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than October 20, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will close on October 20, 2017. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Kita Yang, Recruiter
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.