6419 Design Administrator (Administrator II), Project Management
San Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Initial review of applications will begin on September 20, 2017. To receive full consideration, apply by September 19, 2017. (The position will remain open until filled). The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice.
For more information on San Diego State University, please click here.
This position is in the Management Personnel Plan (Administrator II) and earns management benefits including medical, dental, vision, $100,000 life insurance plan, and the CalPERS pension plan. For more information on benefits included for this position, please see the benefits summary.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible, at will position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. but may vary based on operational needs.
The Design Administrator will be responsible for project design, administration and management of Public Works projects within the Office of Project Management and will oversee multiple projects at various stages of implementation at any given time, with various levels of complexity at one or more locations. This position will function independently by applying acquired technical skills to perform the full range of design administration activities for each project. The incumbent will apply experience, knowledge, and judgment to a variety of complex tasks associated with developing capital projects in an active University environment. The incumbent will also supervise an Architect and a Drafting Technician II.
For more information regarding Project Management , please click here.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.
Candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Planning, Construction Management, Business, or other relevant discipline and five or more years of professional, progressively responsible, combined in-field and office experience supervising design administration projects; including scheduling, quality control and cost control management.
Must be experienced with on-site field construction conditions, and possess in-depth knowledge of construction design processes, sequencing, and productivity. Must be experienced with reviewing payment requests for approval. Must be experienced in resolving problems, meeting deadlines and ensuring continuity of operations. Must have ability to recognize need and take appropriate action. Experience in preparing, monitoring and managing design budgets; gathering data and information; and evaluating independent cost estimates.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- A professional license in one of the professions and/or an advanced degree
- Five years of experience in a supervisory capacity in project management, facility operations, design administration or the construction industry, including experience in design, plan analysis and estimating for multiple trade projects.
- Familiar and knowledgeable with scheduling software, construction project management software, Excel spreadsheets, and word processing software.
- Experience with Capital Project planning, development and construction in a university environment.
- Experience managing a high volume of simultaneous projects in a dynamic environment.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills and interest in managing design and construction projects, especially in managing complex design programming challenges, in a university setting.
- Familiar with California Public Contract Code, general construction procedures and financial practices.
- Knowledge of programming, site planning, utility design, architectural design, interior design, space planning, project management, building codes and regulations governing Public Works construction.
- Must recognize and embrace "teamwork" philosophy within Project Management and university at large.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-7099.
All management and executive employees shall be required to provide a written statement to the appropriate administrator of any and all outside employment. Employees shall also provide a written statement of outside employment if a written request by an administrator is made.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.