Chief of Staff/Executive Director, Government & External Relations
Dalton State College invites applications for the Chief of Staff/Executive Director, Government & External Relations position. Dalton State College is an undergraduate institution in the University System of Georgia with more than 5,000 students, offering both baccalaureate and two-year degree programs. The College is nestled in the picturesque foothills of Northwest Georgia with easy access to the metropolitan areas of Chattanooga, Nashville, and Atlanta. An emerging Hispanic Serving Institution, Dalton State is developing as a leader in undergraduate education with winning athletic teams and new student housing as well as strong academic programs.
The Chief of Staff to the President and Executive Director of Government & External Relations is a key member of the president's leadership team. This position manages a wide range of matters of importance on behalf of the President and works collaboratively with the Executive Cabinet and Administrative Cabinet.
This position is responsible for the supervision of the day-to-day campus operations of the President's office, coordination and oversight in the development of core initiatives within the Office of the President, Presidential communications and coordination of the College's external and governmental relations activities. This position reports directly to the President.Works closely with the President and the University System of Georgia staff to review proposed policy initiatives and legislation and advocate for the institution and System.
- Serves as the primary liaison for the College to facilitate partnerships with community, state, and federal government entities.
- Works with elected officials and government agencies in providing information and research findings that may assist their policy work.
- Serves as the liaison to the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia on matters not directly handled by the President or other Cabinet members.
Coordinates activities for the Office of the President
- Consults with the Administrative Assistant to the President on scheduling of activities for the President.
- Serves as an advisor providing leadership and strategic direction to the President and Cabinet.
- Assists in establishing priorities and agendas for meetings of the Cabinet.
- Serves as a liaison between the Office of the President and internal constituencies.
- Assists with communications on behalf of the President with internal constituencies.
- Assists in providing briefing materials for the President as needed.
- Coordinates special initiatives as determined by the President.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
Manages the College's interactions with local, state and national communities
- Represents the college at events in the absence of the President.
- Coordinates activities of the College involving external stakeholders.
- Serves as a liaison between the Office of the President and external constituencies and assists with communication.
- Assists with communications on behalf of the President and external constituencies.
Directs and coordinates the operations of other external relations departments
- Provides leadership and oversight for the College in the areas of Marketing & Communications, Advancement & Alumni Relations and Institutional Research.
Performs budget management duties.
- Reviews and responds to all budgetary issues related to Government & External Relations.
- Coordinates financial activities with the Vice President for Financial Affairs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND/OR COMPETENCIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of national, state and local issues related to post-secondary education.
- Knowledge of University System of Georgia Board of Regents policies, procedures, practices, requirements, and reporting structures.
- Knowledge of related state and federal policies, procedures, regulations and laws.
- Knowledge of budget development and management principles.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and information, draw conclusions and produce reports and recommendations.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with personnel matters and sensitive information.
- Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
- Skill in collaborating with multiple constituents.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution required.
- Extensive executive leadership and government/external relations experience.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated management skills in goal-setting, staff supervision and evaluation
- Proven experience in relationship building and government relations practices
- Experience in higher education sector
- Seven (7) years of executive leadership experience and five (5) years of experience in government/external relations.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
The work is typically performed in an office environment.
Travel to the state capital and offices of community stakeholders required