Administrative Assistant to the President’s Office
Description: The Administrative Assistant will support the President’s Office and the College by serving as the first contact for many on and off-campus inquiries. The Administrative Assistant will work cooperatively with the Senior Assistant to the President in performing duties that provide confidential direct support for the President, the Senior Assistant, and many offices around the College. The Administrative Assistant must be able to meet deadlines and function both as an effective team player and independently in a demanding environment with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. This position requires a seasoned professional who possesses excellent communication, customer service, and budget management skills.
- Oversee the President’s Office budget, track expenditures, work with finance on requisitions and purchases, make recommendations on budget management based upon an assessment of trends in spending, and manage the expense reports of the President and Senior Assistant.
- Answer the telephone and greet visitors who have business with the College in general or with the President’s Office specifically.
- Administrative support of Board Meetings, Commencement, Opening Convocation and Inaugurations. Procure regalia, hoods and honorary degrees as needed. Budget support.
- Transcribe dictation, and assist in the execution of mailings for major campus events.
- Assess the nature of each inquiry and make independent decisions on whether the issue at hand should be brought to the attention of the President, the Senior Assistant, or to another campus office in order to assure timely and complete customer service.
- Effective communication and relationships with other offices on Campus, donors, board members, governmental representatives and other constituents.
- Coordinate an effective and efficient work environment within the President’s Office and across the College through communication that is both accurate and clear, and by using excellent judgement in decision-making about when communication is necessary or can benefit the work of the President’s Office and/or the College.
- Manage daily functions of the office, including inventory, filing and maintenance.
- Provide support to the senior assistant as assigned.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with at least 5 years’ of administrative experience
- Event planning and coordination experience is a plus
- Excellent expressive and receptive communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and competently
- Budget management and analysis skills
- Independent judgement and decision-making skills
- Competence with electronic office tools
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Experience with Ellucian (Datatel) is a plus
- Basic research skills, including the ability to collect information from internet based sources
- Ability to multi-task
- Personal integrity and the ability to protect the confidentiality of information is required
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,400 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening "the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community." Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. To apply, please follow the detailed application instructions found at https://www.hartwick.edu/about-us/employment/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/.