Associate Director, Audit and Compliance - Sponsored Programs Administration, Post-Award (A1700589)
Sponsored Program Administration, Post-Award
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR AUDIT AND COMPLIANCE
Sponsored Program Administration, Post-Award (SPA PA) is a unit under the Office of Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Sponsored Program Administration supports the research enterprise throughout the entire lifecycle of an externally sponsored project, from proposal submission to award close-out. SPA combines the offices of sponsored programs and grants and contracts office under a single organizational structure. The Post-Award office provides a variety of post-award administration functions in support of sponsored projects.
The Associate Director will manage the Audit and Compliance section in Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) Post-Award, including oversight of all internal procedures to ensure compliance with institutional policies and procedures, state and/or federal laws, and contractual obligations and oversight of external audits of sponsored projects, including the annual Single Audit.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as primary contact and serve as liaison with external and internal auditors to facilitate the performance of audits under Uniform Guidance 2 CFR Part 200 and other sponsored project reviews and audits. Coordinate the retrieval of data and supporting documentation for internal and external audits and reviews.
- Supervise staff within the Audit and Compliance unit, assign duties, define responsibilities, prioritize and delegate workflow, develop and conduct training, review and evaluate work. Appraise and evaluate staff performance.
- Respond to compliance-related inquires and requests from sponsors regarding sponsored project activities.
- Coordinate the preparation of the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards for the annual Single Audit, including review of sponsored project account attributes for accuracy.
- Coordinate preparation of responses to audit findings, special audit reports, and related requests for information.
- Oversight of audit resolution of the Single Audit which requires coordination with various federal agencies.
- Oversee the review of expenditures charged to unallowable and restricted cost categories for compliance with cost accounting standards and sponsored project terms and conditions. Coordinate the post-audit review of sponsored project cost transfers.
- Oversee the monitoring of sub-recipient compliance in accordance with the requirements of Uniform Guidance 2 CFR Part 200.
- Participate in performance improvement initiatives, including development of supporting systems to ensure compliance with sponsored project requirements and related policies.
- Participate in special projects as needed to review University of Illinois financial records and supporting systems for compliance with federal rules and regulations to determine whether internal controls as they relate to sponsored project activities are adequate, effective, and functioning, and that the University is in compliance with institutional policies and procedures, state and federal laws, and contractual obligations.
- Manage post-award audit and compliance section personnel, including training, assignment of duties, defining responsibilities, and reviewing and evaluating job performance.
- Participate in establishing post-award policies for sponsored projects by identifying areas where policies need to be developed and making recommendations for these policies.
- Actively seek information about and interpret sponsored project terms and conditions in University policies and procedures as they relate to establishment/maintenance of sponsored project accounts.
- Interpret and provide advice on University policies and sponsor regulations to internal staff, faculty, departmental business staff, sub-awardees, and others as needed.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Director of SPA Post-Award that are appropriate for an Associate Director of Audit and Compliance.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required: Bachelor's degree, with a concentration in Accountancy, Computer Science, and/or Operations Research. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending on depth and breadth of experience as it relates to this position. Preferred: CPA and/or advanced degree in a related field
Experience and Knowledge
Required: At least five years of advanced financial audit and compliance experience at an institution of higher education or other challenging professional environment and/or combined audit and sponsored project post award management experience. Highly developed communication, analytical, problem solving and organizational skills. Ability to work in an integrated team within SPA Post-Award and act as a strong role model, manager and coach. Ability to negotiate and resolve complex issues with a professional demeanor and ability to use personal judgment to make sound decisions. Ability to research information independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously to meet stringent deadlines and occasional travel is required.
Preferred: Experience in auditing or grants management at the University of Illinois. Ability to work well with all levels of management, both internally and externally. Knowledge and understanding of database programs, including working knowledge of Microsoft Access. Solid understanding of the framework of Uniform Guidance 2 CFR Part 200 and OMB Circulars A-110, A-21 A-133. Knowledge and understanding of related Federal regulations and policies for the conduct of sponsored programs. Familiar with State of Illinois regulations, policies and procedures for the conduct of sponsored programs. Knowledge of the University of Illinois policies and procedures.
Appointment Status: Regular 100%-time academic professional appointment / 12-month service basis. Eligible for full University benefits package. Proposed start date as soon as possible after closing date. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications must be received by November 10, 2017. To apply, all candidates must submit on online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload: 1) a letter which details qualifications noted above; 2) resume; and 3) the names and contact information for three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For further information, please contact Susan Key, OVCR Human Resources, at email@example.com.
The University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Director, Audit and Compliance - Sponsored Programs Administration, Post-Award (A1700589)
Open Date: 09/21/2017
Close Date: 11/10/2017
Organization Name: Sponsored Prgms Adm Post-Award