Head of Quality Assurance
Requisition # 2017-7985
Department PPPL Office of the Director
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 1 month ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), is seeking an experienced candidate for the position of Head of Quality and Assurance for PPPL. The Head of Quality and Assurance serves as the Laboratory's senior leader responsible for coordinating the Laboratory's quality and assurance priorities and strategies. This position reports to the Laboratory Director and works closely with the Deputy Directors, Associate Laboratory Directors, Chief Financial Officer, Division Heads, and Department Heads. This position will develop, implement, and maintain effective processes in support of a Quality and Assurance Program that is compliant with DOE O 414.1D, Quality Assurance and aligned with the Laboratory's mission. Position requires comprehensive understanding of quality assurance, quality control, and contractor assurance models.
- Act as the conscience of the institution regarding the Quality Assurance and Contractor Assurance Programs and take ownership of the overall quality of the laboratory products and quality-related organizational systems.
- Maintain the Laboratory Quality Assurance Plan, and alters the Plan as needed based on Lessons Learned and DOE complex developments.
- Support the Laboratory Director, the Deputy Director for Operations (DDO) and the Laboratory Leadership Council in any quality-related activities as requested.
- Make unbiased assessments of process/procedure definition, adherence to these processes/procedures, work safety and quality, and technical quality control.
- Order a stop work if needed, have difficult candid discussions with leadership if needed, and acknowledge empowerment of the QA role as the ultimate assurance of organizational excellence.
- Act as a key signatory on all Laboratory guiding procedures.
- Act on behalf of the institution as the Management System Steward of the Quality Management System, and be an advocate and model within the Laboratory for supporting science through effective and efficient Management System stewardship.
- Provide leadership to the Quality and Assurance staff (consisting of QA and QC engineers) to sustain and improve PPPL's scientific and operational performance.
- On behalf of the institution, effectively manage the Occurrence Reporting and Processing System (ORPS) and Noncompliance Tracking System (NTS).
- Strategically manage a robust and mature Lessons Learned program that demonstrates an effective Laboratory-wide learning culture.
- Develop and manage an effective Performance Analysis Group that enhances institutional performance and risk management by monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on operational performance trends, events and issues, and institutional corrective actions.
- As a senior manager, interface with a broad range of high-level contacts both within and outside of the Laboratory in regards to quality, performance management, and operational issues.
- Approach higher levels of leadership if identified issues are not addressed in a thorough and timely manner up to and including the Princeton University Vice President that oversees PPPL.
- Coordinate with engineering and procurement management regarding rigorous and appropriate oversight of vendors.
- Work with peer national laboratory Quality Programs to assure PPPL's Program supports the science mission while demonstrating compliance.
- Bachelor's Degree in a scientific, engineering, technical or business discipline.
- At least 10 years of experience in managing and leading the development and implementation of Quality Assurance programs. This includes: have a comprehensive understanding of the funding agency's processes and requirements, evaluate the laboratory's compliance with these requirements, proactively assess the laboratory's processes and procedures to maintain compliance, ensure that the national consensus standards are used, oversee the application of the graded approach to QA, oversee independent surveillance of suppliers, oversee independent surveillance of design activities, oversee independent surveillance of fabrication activities, monitor long-term performance of the laboratory with respect to quantitative and qualitative benchmarks, and provide independent assessment of the results of corrective action plans.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide unbiased assessments and unabashedly approach higher levels of leadership if identified issues are not addressed in a thorough and timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships and collaborate with all levels of staff within the Laboratory and Senior Leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work with a broad cross-section of leaders.
- Strong decision-making, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in quality assurance as it relates to research and development (R&D) and contractor assurance.
- Experience identifying and evaluating trends in specific subsystems as well as global organizational systems.
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) certification (e.g., CMQ, CQE, CQA).
- Familiarity and experience with DOE-SC Contractor Assurance System (H-clause).
- Familiarity and experience with DOE's Occurrence Reporting and Processing System (ORPS) and Noncompliance Tracking System (NTS).
- Familiarity and experience with DOE's Performance Evaluation and Measurement Plan (PEMP).
- Experience with performance-based management.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.