Workplace Safety Specialist
Requisition # 2017-7980
Department Environmental Health & Safety
Category Environment and Sustainability
Date Posted 2 months ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University's Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) provides leadership, technical support, information and training, consultation, and periodic audits of environmental, health and safety practices and regulatory compliance. EHS employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of 17 professional and support staff working to address health and safety issues in several broad areas including; workplace safety, occupational health, laboratory safety, emergency management, environmental programs, and general health and safety for the campus community.
Princeton University's Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) seeks a motivated and dedicated individual to provide professional environmental health and safety services in a variety of workplace, laboratory, and research settings, in support of and under the general supervision of senior staff and program managers. The successful candidate is expected to conduct audits and surveys of buildings and shops, incident and accident investigations, evaluations of regulated activities, and provides information and services to students, faculty and staff.
The position assists EHS senior staff and program managers with aspects of workplace health and safety programs, such as confined space entry, lockout/tagout, fall protection, scaffolding, forklifts, electrical safety and the use of monitoring equipment to evaluate exposure to noise, airborne contaminants, and physical hazards. An important function of the position is the management and curation of data in support of workplace safety program areas, as identified during health and safety surveys or monitoring activities.
EHS prides itself on providing outstanding customer service and expects all members of the office to provide customer service to the campus community including delivery and assembly of supplies and equipment, and providing safety consultation with students, faculty, and staff.
The position occasionally responds to incidents, providing assistance to workers and emergency responders as needed, conducts daily monitoring of University incident reporting systems, and completes accident and incident investigations as assigned by EHS program managers.
- BS in occupational safety or in a scientific or engineering field and 1 to 3 years of occupational safety experience in facilities or service sector.
- Ability to master computer software, including Microsoft Office Professional.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate orally to a diverse community of clients. Able to perform public speaking and deliver training to diverse audiences/large and small groups.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment and to follow work rules and procedures, and to work independently.
- Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to balance multiple assignments.
- Interest in and ability to pursue and obtain professional credentials, such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds (e.g., instruments, self-contained breathing apparatus and waste containers), climb ladders, and wear respiratory protection.
- Valid US driver's license.
- Ability to pass background checks.
- Willingness to work in a variety of work areas including those where hazardous materials are used, in confined spaces (e.g., tunnels, pits, etc.), at heights (e.g., ladders, roofs, scaffolding), on constructions sites, and in laboratory settings.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.