Director International Student Services
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
In collaboration with the Associate Vice-Chancellor for Special Programs, the Director leads the college's international program and oversees international recruitment, admissions and retention services. The position is charged with developing and implementing strategies for increasing international enrollment while ensuring that international students have a high quality experience, such strategies shall directly address the internationalization of the college.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and provide leadership for the Office of International Student Services (OISS);
- Supervise all operations for OISS;
- Serve as the HCC's Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)/F-1 & M-1 visas and Responsible Officer (RO) J-1 visa, to ensure Houston Community College complies with all government regulations regarding international students, dependents, and scholars;
- Represent HCC at state, regional, and national conferences regarding international students, scholars, and study abroad;
- Provides leadership and oversight of all study abroad programs, including the promotion, orientation, and reporting requirements related to the programs;
- Direct the activities of staff in fulfilling the institutions obligation for compliance with government regulations for issues related to international student & scholar compliance;
- Provide district-wide training and support on policies and procedures for staff members in international support services;
- Provide program supervision and administration for HCC's pending J-1 program including the support, monitoring, and reporting to the U .S. Department of State;
- Supervise the SEVIS DSO's (Designated School Official's) and work to assure that all international students & scholars remain in compliance with U.S. immigration law and supervise support services;
- Oversee all Form I-17/SEVP recertification's and nonimmigrant sponsor status through the Department of Homeland Security;
- Coordinate internationalization across campuses in accordance with HCC's strategic pillars and internationalization priorities. The position works with campuses to develop international education opportunities on and off campus for faculty, staff, students and the community;
- Coordinate travel, protocol, meetings and arrangements for visiting international delegations and outgoing international visits for OISS;
- Collaborates with stakeholders to create plans to support the growth and development of International Programs, including, but not limited to business plans, budgets, staffing plans, marketing plans, recruitment plans, student engagement and internationalization plans. Manages implementation of plans;
- Coordinate all international reports for state, national and federal agencies to ensure all records are maintained in accordance to federal guidelines; and
- Perform personnel functions, including budget preparations, performance evaluation, employee training and recommendation for personnel actions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's degree in education, counseling or a related field required.
Master's degree in student development, college student personnel, educational administration, business or a related field.
Five (5) years of full-time professional experience in international programs and/or education or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Supervisory experience required.
Broad understanding of international education in higher education.
Cross cultural experience, experience working or studying abroad.
Experience recruiting international students.
Planning experience such as budget, recruitment or business plans development.
Experience in developing business or academic partnerships.
Experience working with faculty and academic leadership.
Experience using Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
Staff supervision: performance evaluations policies and procedures, hiring and disciplinary decisions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Program development and administration principles and practices;
- International Program operations and functions;
- International recruiting practices;
- Immigration regulations and practices;
- Supervisory principles;
- Strategy development principles and procedures;
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Project management principles;
- Budget administration principles;
- Customer service principles; Public relations principles.
- Prioritizing and assigning work;
- Student recruitment
- Using computers and related software applications;
- Managing multiple projects;
- Managing multiple priorities simultaneously;
- Developing, communicating and applying policies and procedures;
- Resolving conflict;
- Preparing and administering budgets;
- Managing change and sensitive topics;
- Planning, analyzing, and evaluating programs and services, operational needs, and fiscal constraints;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, large groups etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Build and foster communication and teamwork by maintain a positive, cooperative and productive work atmosphere;
- Supervise and mentor employees;
- Use diplomacy to effectively manage interpersonal relationships with diverse personalities;
- Effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable way, both verbally and in writing;
- Develop business or academic partnerships;
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local rules and regulations;
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of college goals.
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their teaching home. When you join our talented faculty team, you'll play a special role as teacher, mentor and academic advisor. We'll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.
You: Innovator. Pacesetter. Agent of change. If you're a tech savvy, process improvement-focused Student Champion with a talent for developing partnerships with communities and individuals, we're looking for you.
Highlights: We are currently seeking an exceptional individual who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
Next steps: If you always have the student experience in the forefront of your planning and execution, if you're a collaborator, an innovator and a person who gets things done, apply today!
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact HCC.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.