Vice President for Marketing
Morningside College invites applications and nominations for a Vice President for Marketing. The successful candidate will eat, breathe and sleep innovation and best practices in marketing as they capture and chronicle the energy of Morningside’s students, faculty and alumni and their achievements. The Vice President will join in the welcoming culture of Morningside; partner with key members of the community in seeking pathways to attract additional students in the College’s undergraduate, adult part-time, and graduate programs; as well as launch initiatives designed to spotlight the College’s role as a strong regional resource.
Morningside College is a complex institution that serves students seeking varying educational paths. Just two years before its 125th anniversary celebration in 2019, Morningside’s enrollment is nearing 3,000 students and consists of close to 1,300 mostly traditional age undergraduates; 1,500 classroom teachers seeking an M.A.T. degree or various endorsements; almost 100 registered nurses seeking the MSN degree; and 30 nontraditional working adults in the Organizational Management program completing their bachelor's degrees. Morningside College’s enrollment has more than tripled in size in the past two decades and is poised for additional growth. Morningside intends to strengthen its presence as a strong regional resource in the tri-state area of Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota, known as “Siouxland”.
The Vice President will report to the College’s 12th president, John C. Reynders, who has led Morningside’s success and innovation since 1999. President Reynders has brought pivotal growth to Morningside through enrollment advances and success in fundraising more than $72 million for facilities improvement, annual scholarships, and endowment funding.
This new Vice President will benefit from President Reynders’ recently formed “Innovation Idea Group”, an ongoing committee of board members, alumni, faculty and staff charged with investigating, promoting, designing and bringing about change and new ideas. The initiative has emerged from a year-long, campus-wide conversation focused on prioritization which has strengthened Morningside’s financial base, refocused resources on existing programs and new areas of growth, and enhanced the overall student experience.
The Position: The Vice President for Marketing will be a strategic thinker and planner who proactively advises the President and other senior leaders of the college on a range of marketing issues related to the life and future of the college. Primary focus areas for this position include supporting student recruitment and enrollment, supporting fundraising and advancement efforts, and continuing to build on Morningside’s role as a regional resource for Sioux City and surrounding communities. Further, the Vice President for Marketing will work closely with the Vice President for Communication as a member of senior staff to identify challenges and emerging issues and collaborate with members of the campus community to effectively tell the story of the College, and define and execute appropriate strategies to share success broadly with the world and strategically with important constituencies to the College. The Vice President reports directly to the President, sits on the President’s cabinet, and attends Board of Directors’ meetings. The Vice President will lead a small team and work in wide cooperation with nearly every facet of the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
There is so much opportunity for the person in this new role. Here are a few of the most pertinent and important items the new vice president will tackle.
- Set marketing priorities in concert with the president and the Board of Directors, and to a lesser extent cabinet, as institutional goals are established;
- Juggle competing demands with grace and sensitivity. Demonstrate an ability to absorb advice and deflect criticism when conflict arises over limited time and resources;
- Bring fresh perspective and fresh eyes on processes;
- Establish a marketing toolkit for brand consistency and guidance of the College’s community’s use of themes, logos and keywords;
- Administer budget of $300,000; stretching creatively and with a bottom-line interest in achieving maximum ROI of marketing investments;
- In addition, collaborate with the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs in administering undergraduate marketing budgets (separate from the marketing budget). Assist by offering expertise in vetting and exploring key external partnerships;
- Strengthen individual pipelines for varying graduate and adult programs through coordinated marketing efforts reflecting up-to-date practices;
- Infuse technology into Morningside’s outreach to prospective students and alumni;
- Breathe fresh air into the administration of Morningside’s website as a critical marketing tool; enhancing ability for posting video, links, and compelling stories that reflect on Morningside’s best and brightest;
- Establish thorough and widely accepted college policies governing marketing and communications and relay those policies to all divisions and departments of the college;
- Advise faculty and administrators about promotional strategies for major events and new programs using direct mail, print and electronic communications, and media advertising;
- Increase the visibility of Morningside College and implement strategic plans for marketing through print and electronic media; take initiative to discover stories that support the marketing plan and work with staff to impact strategic media placement.
Desired Qualities and Experience:
The successful candidate will have at least seven years of professional experience in marketing, with previous experience in higher education preferred; those with exceptional marketing experience in other professions will be considered. A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred. In addition, candidates should demonstrate:
- Boundless personal and professional energy;
- Keen ability to ask direct, pertinent questions and listen carefully and with nuance as part of an assessment of the best marketing tools to deploy in each situation;
- Quick study of institutional culture with a readiness to proceed at an appropriate and sustained pace of effective implementation;
- Imaginative and creative ways of communicating existing programs and new initiatives to the appropriate audiences;
- Broad understanding and mastery of today’s cutting edge tools in social media, video, and other digital options;
- Deep devotion to data-driven decision-making, along with a demonstrated commitment to knowing how to measure, interpret and enhance ROI;
- Practitioner within higher education OR a fan of the higher education industry and the practical and esoteric value offered to students; able to demonstrate knowledge of undeniable trends, practices, and future direction of higher education;
- A broad knowledge of all facets of marketing, including web development, e-communications, print, and emerging electronic and social media platforms;
- Excellent interpersonal, social, and verbal communication skills; exceptional public-speaking skills;
- Innate comfort and ease in communicating to a variety of audiences, ranging from students to trustees, with polish and sophistication;
- Eagerness to learn and embrace Sioux City and surrounding region with an appreciation for the warmth and direct nature of the community.
About Morningside College: Morningside College is a private, four-year college founded in 1894 and is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. A member of the North Central Association , the College is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Located on a beautiful 68-acre campus, Morningside enrolls 1,300 full-time undergraduates who enjoy a 13 to 1 student to faculty ratio. Undergraduates select from 65 majors and pre-professional programs; over the past three years, Morningside graduates have a job and grad school placement rate of 99%. A special part of the Morningside experience is the May Term that gives students the opportunity to take a class not normally available. Many courses involve travel both across the US and abroad, while there are also several options for students on campus.
Athletics are a vital part of the Morningside undergraduate experience as the College competes in more than 26 men’s and women’s NAIA Division II teams, as well as offering significant opportunities to participate in a vibrant intramural program.
Within the Graduate School, Morningside’s programs include M.A.T. degrees or endorsements (100% online with an enrollment of approximately 1,500) and a Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) which serves more than 100 students through degree completion or certificates. Additionally, the newly created and growing Organizational Management program enrolls 30 students and is an on-line undergraduate degree completion program.
Mission Statement: The Morningside College experience cultivates a passion for life-long learning and a dedication to ethical leadership and civic responsibility.
For further information about Morningside College, go to www.morningside.edu.
Location: Morningside College’s lovely campus anchors the residential Morningside neighborhood in Sioux City, Iowa, a community recognized as the economic and cultural center of the region. Sioux City’s population of 82,000 is part of a larger Siouxland area of 168,000 people; located in the northwestern corner of Iowa and just an eight to ten minute drive to both Nebraska and South Dakota. Cost of living is low, and housing is affordable and plentiful. Residents can select from nearby housing and a walk-able commute, or choose other city or country options not far from campus.
Sioux City, an important agricultural processing and shipping center on the Missouri River, serves the “tri-state” area of northwest Iowa, northeast Nebraska, and South Dakota. This quiet but industrious city was once a major meatpacking and stockyards center. Food processing is still a major economic activity, and leftover historic interest has been preserved and brought forward with a few good museums and historic areas.
Arts and culture flourish in Siouxland with outlets that include the Sioux City Art Center, Sioux City Symphony (housed in the Orpheum Theatre) and numerous events in the Hard Rock Café. Sioux City is 100 miles from Omaha, Nebraska; 85 miles from Sioux Falls, South Dakota; and, four hours from the Twin Cities to the north and Kansas City to the south.
To apply, nominate, or inquire: Napier Executive Search is assisting Morningside College in finding the best professional for the position of Vice President for Marketing. To arrange for a confidential conversation, please contact Mary Napier ([email protected]) or Laura Robinson ([email protected]). To apply, please send: 1) a resume, 2) a detailed cover letter sharing qualifications and interest, 3) a sample of recent work giving context and detailing your role in the project, and, 4) contact information for three professional references. Send all materials by email to: [email protected]. For assurance of full consideration, please submit application materials no later than October 30, 2017. Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled. All applications and nominations will be considered confidential and notice will be given before references are contacted. Anticipated start date in January 2018.
Morningside College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages women and minorities to apply.