The RP Group
The RP Group is a (501c3) non-profit, non-partisan organization. Through professional and leadership development, technical assistance, research, and evaluation services, the RP Group strengthens the ability of California Community Colleges to discover and undertake high-quality research, planning, and assessments that improve evidence-based decision making, institutional effectiveness, and success for all students. For more information, please visit www.rpgroup.org.
This full-time position is responsible for leading the Research and Planning Group for California Community Colleges (RP Group), overseeing all operations and providing overall strategic direction for organization, in partnership with its statewide Board of Directors. The Executive Director will work with the RP Group’s capable and committed staff, dedicated member volunteers and collaborative partners to translate the organization’s mission and goals into the next era of our work, including the development, refinement, and expansion of the services offered by the RP Group in the areas of research, evaluation, professional development, and technical assistance. The RP Group is a remote organization, with staff members located throughout the State of California.
1) Administrative Leadership and Operations Management
- in collaboration with Board leadership, lead the development of the strategic plan and annual work plans, and monitor progress
- using established organizational policies and processes, assign and direct work, set salaries, appraise performance, determine rewards and discipline, address complaints and resolve problems
- facilitate and oversee a highly productive, collegial, team environment for geographically-distributed staff and contractors
- ensure adequate staff and consultant/contractor resources for effective agency operations and execution of all projects
- recommend to board members and staff references, resources, personnel, and systems for greater program effectiveness and efficiency
- recruit new employees and contractors including drafting and posting job descriptions, vetting applicants, hiring, and providing new employee training
2) Fiscal Planning and Resource Development
- with the support and management of the Board, maintain the fiscal health of the organization
- establish, guide, and monitor implementation of the business plan and annual budget
- in collaboration with the Director of Finance, provide financial guidance and deliver regular financial reports to the Board and to the Finance and Audit Committee
- identify and build relationships with funders and clients, develop grant proposals, secure contracts, and oversee grant activities
- develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health and growth of the organization
3) Board Development and Support
- provide ongoing Board development, including integrating new Board members, strengthening relationships within the Board, and supporting the leadership growth of individuals on the Board
- develop organizational and administrative policies for Board consideration
- monitor and support activities led by the Board, such as committee work and professional development activities
- manage Board elections process
4) Partner and Membership Relations
- Maintain existing and develop additional, strategic working relationships with RP Group members
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners and collaborators within and outside of the California community colleges, at the statewide level, and nationally.
5) Additional responsibilities as jointly defined with the Executive Committee
The preferred candidate will be a proven professional with demonstrated successful experience in managing a team of staff, leading business and resource development activities, expanding mission relevant programs, and ensuring organizational effectiveness. This strategic leader will bring the following experiences, skills and knowledge:
- Master’s or doctoral degree and a minimum of five years experience in organizational development and/or management; experience in nonprofit organizational management preferred
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in the management and leadership of an organization or in a division of a large organization; experience with professional membership and/or nonprofit organizations preferred
- Passion for the mission and work of the RP Group and an appetite for learning
- Excellent organizational skills sufficient to manage multiple projects and meet competing deadlines
- Proven record in leading an organization or division of similar complexity to its next level of development; comfort working in a dynamic team environment that encourages continuous improvement
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing results-oriented resource development using multiple strategies to broaden financial support
- Ability to effectively communicate and generate excitement for the value of the RP Group to partners and potential funders, both in writing and in person.
- Successful experience in team building, motivating, and building productive relationships, confidence, and trust across all levels of an organization
- Ability to prioritize, delegate, and manage multiple tasks effectively; demonstrated experience building and supporting projects that are led by multiple organizations preferred
- Demonstrated sensitivity and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience working with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders, such as Board members, staff, consultants, volunteers, funders, and government agencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience presenting information to staff and external audiences
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows Office software: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of statewide community college policies (and/or education) and practices preferred
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Salary is commensurate with experience and will be based on the qualifications of the person selected. The RP Group offers some flexibility on working arrangements. A comprehensive benefits package is offered.
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline in order to be considered for the position.
The deadline to apply for this position is October 9, 2017, or until position is filled. Anticipated Start Month and Year: December 2017.
The RP Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Apply for Executive Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly