Full-Time Faculty Position in Interior Design
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Interior Design Department, School of Art and Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees,
preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace. With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry
The School of Art and Design offers 17 degree programs and is home to fashion majors, a breadth of visual communication majors and fields as unique as toy design and visual presentation and exhibition design.
Art and Design faculty are industry professionals and foster meaningful curriculum that seeks to maximize the creative and technical potential in each student. Each major in the School of Art and Design is committed to stimulating analytical and independent thinking and faculty are committed to enriching student knowledge of global influences. Faculty members prepare students for entry and advancement in art and design careers and provide a collaborative environment that offers a rich and diverse array of interdisciplinary art and design-related projects and competitions.
Please note that the College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The Interior Design Department prepares students for professional excellence in Interior Design through a rigorous design-based AAS and BFA curriculum which includes a rich selection of liberal arts and related area courses. Faculty members are professionals who draw on industry and advisory board connections to provide students with an in-depth view of the interior design industry.
The ideal candidate will be a highly experienced, innovative design professional, with award-winning design sensibility who is actively engaged in all phases of the practice of interior/architectural design. S/he should demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching, scholarly work and professional practice.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the interior design industry current practices, trends, and utilization of technology and innovation.
- Demonstrate the ability to teach college-level design courses in both AAS and BFA levels incorporating multiple project types.
- Assist the department in conceptualizing its direction for the future and shaping and driving those changes by taking a leading role in the development of the program and department infrastructure.
- Provide leadership and direction in order to implement the College's strategic plan.
- Demonstrate cross-disciplinary skills and the ability to work throughout the institution with various academic departments, the broader community, and the design industry in the future development of curricular and extracurricular activities.
- Enrich their pedagogy, and to keep up with continuously evolving professional world, s/he is expected to pursue continuing education and professional development that allow s/he to maintain and expand their existing personal body of academic research and/or artistic professional explorations.
- Demonstrate experience teaching multiple courses in interior design including: studio, lighting and acoustics, building systems, interior building codes and regulations, selection of furniture, fixtures and equipment, drafting, hand rendering and proficiency in 2D and 3D visualization using different computer applications.
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively on interdisciplinary projects with colleagues at the college as well as with external partners towards the development of share projects and initiatives.
We seek a faculty member who will effectively communicate with students and help them achieve their educational goals. S/he will be expected to contribute to the department, school and college beyond the classroom with curriculum development and committee service to the department, school and college.
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas:
- Possess an ability to think globally, demonstrates an awareness of global impact of design education, industry, and profession.
- Communicate to students that design decisions have ethical implications that effect the local, regional, and global environment and people.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the implications of design in relation to broader social, cultural, economic, scientific, and technological forces.
- Develop students' awareness that different cultures have different customs, references and preferences, and that one solution is rarely appropriate for all people.
- Situate interior design within greater global cross-disciplinary discourse.
- Demonstrate ability to sue effective technology and electronic information to deliver course materials to students.
- Design classroom and other learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem solving, information literacy, and creativity.
- Demonstrate implementation of lectures and practical applications that enrich students' learning experience through innovative pedagogies and research and/or creative scholarship.
- Demonstrate execution of socially responsible and sustainable design projects that inspire a diverse student population.
- Embrace the role of faculty as facilitators, mentors and integrators of information and knowledge.
- Possess a passion for learning with the ability to inspire interest, curiosity and creativity in students.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to industry changes and/or practices including technology with the ability to incorporate those changes in a progressive curriculum.
- Demonstrate a continued engagement in creative and/or scholarly work specific to the interior design discipline.
- Understand established and emerging interior design practices and their importance to FIT graduates.
- Possess the ability to organize and lead committees, take on special initiative for both the college and the department.
- Demonstrate professional projects that illustrate a varied design portfolio of evidence-based projects with innovative use of materials.
- Demonstrate research ability, including a scholarly publication record, and/or design achievements record (i.e. built work, competitions, and/or design awards).
- Demonstrate technological skills relating to software and hardware widely used in the interior/architectural design profession.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate through technology and adapt to college course management and FIT technology.
- Demonstrate a commitment to maintaining updated technological skills and knowledge.
Bachelors's degree and three (3) years of teaching experience in interior/architectural design in higher education is required. Minimum six (6) or more years of high level, full-time professional experience and be currently engaged in the professions of interior design or a related discipline. Candidates are required to demonstrate their competencies by maintaining active industry required licensure and certifications as recognized by their particular fields/professions. All candidates to be considered are required to have passed the National Council for Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ) exam. Candidates should be associated with professional organizations/networks that are organized/affiliated with respective fields/specialties.
Applicants must have a compelling track record of accomplishments related to interior design. This can be demonstrated with published peer-reviewed research and/or exhibited creative scholarship in juried exhibitions, publications, and/or competitions. Ideally this work has also been disseminated at professional of scholarly gatherings.
An MFA/MA/MS degree is preferred.
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning in Fall 2018. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
Online applications are required. To apply, please visit www.fitnyc.interviewexchange.com Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
For consideration, please provide:
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position.
- Professional Resume/Curriculum Vitae.
- Maximum of 5 page sample of personal professional qualifying work.
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
- Additional application materials may be requested at a later date.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at www.fitnyc.edu.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.