Associate General Counsel
Los Angeles, CA
• Provide legal counsel and guidance on all matters relating with a focus on litigation management, contractual and transactional work, and policy development for the Company or its College Affiliates. Create a proactive strategy to ensure compliance with existing and contemplated federal/state employment laws, higher education laws and regulations.
• Regularly draft, review and revise contracts for employment, service agreements, outside vendors, independent contractors, practicum and clinical site agreements, and research partnership agreements. Draft and negotiate leases, licenses and other legal instruments and amendments thereto.
• In conjunction with the General Counsel, direct and supervise outside counsel handling employment litigation, including but not limited to, risk assessment, devising case strategy and serving as liaison for investigations, discovery, and other-litigation related tasks.
• Manages pre-litigation dispute resolution.
• Work with other Associate Counsel and Counsel to support the administration of sound policies and procedures related to student affairs and disputes, including but not limited to dismissal, student misconduct, academic probation, criminal background check findings and admission issues.
• Conduct internal investigations and ensure the effective and efficient management and resolution of employee complaints and concerns filed through the HelpLine.
• Provide legal counsel and guidance to one or more of the Affiliate Colleges on operational matters.
• Provide risk mitigation advice and counsel.
• Develop and execute training relating on relevant rules and regulations
• Perform other related duties as assigned by General Counsel.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Self-starter, able to work independently as remote employee (main office located in Chicago, IL).
• Ability to interpret statutes, policies and other legal documents and communicate the content of those documents in an explanatory manner.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to persuade and influence a broad spectrum of constituents at all levels.
• Strong communication skills, with a comfort level of communicating with high level executives and administration, including accrediting agencies.
• Ability to work on multiple projects independently and simultaneously.
• Computer literate in word-processing, spread sheets, and databases.
• Strong people leadership and management skills.
• J.D. required; current active license in California
• A minimum of 10 years of law firm or in-house experience required.
• Experience in higher education, contract law and policy development preferred.
• Extremely strong legal research and writing and organizational skills.
• Excellent judgment and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends required.
• Ability to travel, position travels approximately 20% of the time.
TCS Education System offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TCS Education System