Part Time - Academic Support Specialist
Requisition Number STA - 201000000538
Job Title Part Time - Academic Support Specialist
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Part Time - Academic Support Specialist.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position works with the Student Services/Testing Coordinator at UNT Dallas. An employee in this class performs a variety of administrative support tasks that require the use of considerable independent judgment and initiative. Ability to maintain confidentiality is required. Work includes public contact in interpreting and promoting University academic policies and procedures, and rendering administrative decisions as appropriate, as well as development of academic publications and website updates. Work is performed with assignments typically reflecting continuing responsibility for promoting and maintaining academic integrity. An employee in this class may supervise student workers.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates administrative preparation relating to new/transfer student orientations.
- Follows appropriate safety and security precautions related to work performed.
- Sets up testing appointments for academic and proctored exams.
- Assists with TSI review for incoming students.
- Notifies students of TSI status based on TSI review.
- Responsible for uploading and maintaining academic support web content and website.
- Assist with managing testing labs and proctored exams.
- Reviews TSI scores with students to determine course placement and plan for success in meeting TSI requirements.
- Develops an Academic Success Plan document to share with the student and Academic Advising.
- Coordinates arrangements for conferences, programs, meetings, and special events.
- Provides administrative support for periodic and special projects.
- Coordinates the gathering of information and preparation of schedules, reports, and analyses.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and one year of student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or communication; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
- Knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
Two years of experience in related field; or any combination of experience, education and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
- Thorough knowledge of University policies including FERPA and procedures related to the area of assignment.
- Considerable knowledge (or ability to rapidly assimilate and retain) university operating procedures, organization and management policies.
- Working knowledge of sound business principles, practices, and techniques.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- High level of competence using e-mail and search engines.
- When required: Skill in typing at a moderately fast rate with few errors.
- Knowledge of general safe working procedures related to work performed.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Monday - Friday
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Ph D
- * How many years of student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or related experience do you have?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)